Trout report from VA (1/21/07)

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Jan 23, 2007.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Sunday we got to the Smith River around 0730. Weather was really nasty sleeting, raining, and flurries all day long. Temp around 30 degrees. Hit a new hole that we had to walk about 1 mile to get to the good water but man was it worth it. My second cast of the day caught the biggest trout of the day a 1.5lb Native Brook trout, the first brook of my life, he was released to see better days. Then it was on seemed like every 5th cast or so we where hooking them 12-16inch rainbows all day. We both limited out in 1hour and 45min. Since the day was so good we continued to fish and releasing every fish that we caught. After about 3 hr, went back to the truck put the fish on some ice and hit another hole where we each caught one. I was back in time to clean the fish, get cleaned up myself and see both the football games. By far the most productive day that we have ever had on the Smith River. Just thought I would share.

Wheelmobile07

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good time.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sounds like you had a ball Trey congrats on the brookie ive never seen one except on tv they look neat

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Looked rather wierd at first then me and my fishing buddy discussed it a little and sure enough when I got home and looked at it compared to some pics in the VDGIF brochure and pics online I immediately knew it was a pretty nice brook.

Wheelmobile07

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Trey - Congrats on the great day of Trout angling! I anticipate catching my 1st Trout of 2007 this upcoming weekend through the ice!:cool2: Did you get a photo of your first ever Brookie?

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ruined a good camera on my James river float trip this summer and I can't take any photos of my catches yet. Plan on purchasing one ASAP though.

Wheelmobile07

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    congrats on the big brookie! 1 1/2# in va is huge for a native.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Trey, I woke up Sunday morning and said to myself anybody that went fishing today is out of their mind!:big_smile: That was some nasty weather, but looks like it was worth it by a mile! Congrats.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    We were waste deep in a river wading too. I love to fish and I have found that this time of the year is the most productive for trout around this area.

Wheelmobile07

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Last sunday I fished the Roanoke river in salem and caught 3 rainbows 16 in., 17 1/2 in. and 17 inch. All these were caught several miles upstreamm from where they stock. In the past several years rainbows and a few browns are reproducing in the river.:smile2:

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Give them time and they will always produce, fishing pressure is what kills the trout

Wheelmobile07

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    It has taken awhile, but I have finnally convinced alot of the people that fish that section to release most of the trout. If they want to keeptrout I tell them to go 5 miles downstream, they stock all the time.