Trout report from VA (1/21/07)

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Jan 23, 2007.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Sunday we got to the Smith River around 0730. Weather was really nasty sleeting, raining, and flurries all day long. Temp around 30 degrees. Hit a new hole that we had to walk about 1 mile to get to the good water but man was it worth it. My second cast of the day caught the biggest trout of the day a 1.5lb Native Brook trout, the first brook of my life, he was released to see better days. Then it was on seemed like every 5th cast or so we where hooking them 12-16inch rainbows all day. We both limited out in 1hour and 45min. Since the day was so good we continued to fish and releasing every fish that we caught. After about 3 hr, went back to the truck put the fish on some ice and hit another hole where we each caught one. I was back in time to clean the fish, get cleaned up myself and see both the football games. By far the most productive day that we have ever had on the Smith River. Just thought I would share.

Wheelmobile07

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the report glad you caught a bunch sounds like you had a blast and congrats on the brookie

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks bro it was definately a great time and one I will remember till another day out does this one.

Wheelmobile07

4. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Nice report. Thanks. Wife and I bought a little place near Fries, Va and will be doing some trout fishing in some the streams and creeks. What are your favorite lures for these rainbows? Thanks

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I love those immitation trout worms that are brown/yellow and black/purple, we also drift nymphs with fly tackle with tiny spinners of all colors. Also have caught a few with grubs on long shanked hooks with no weight just drifting. By far the most luck has been off of nightcrawlers. Lures can be very productive too though.

Wheelmobile07

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    congrats man, i can say im jealous when i hear about days like that when im stuck inside. i think im gonna go out trout fishing if we get a warm day soon. i love fishing but i think i hate the cold to much to get out when the wind chill is about 10-15 degrees.

that reminds me of the day me and my dad had 2 years ago. skipped school to spend a day with the dad, together we caught over 50 trout with my largest being a 19 inch brown and my dads being a 17 inch rainbow. will never forget that day!

7. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    before fishing for catfish, i fished exclusively for trout..

almost everywhere, Rooster tails and Super dupers are outstanding..
    if you're fishing spoons and spinners, try casting upstream and retrieving at a speed faster than the current flow.. that seems to produce more strikes for me..

remember to alternate speed of retrieval, some days i catch them retrieving them in jerked motinos, other days i catch them with by slowwwwwwwwwly retrieving (so slow im scared im gonna snag the lure on a rock below). unless you think you're hitting the bottom, you're not retrieving slow enough..

super dupers are known to catch monster browns and rainbows. ive taken 9 lb rainbow trout with them.. previous biggest size troutbefore using super dupers were 2 1/2 lbs minus the one time I used rainbow guts to catch a monster brown i discovered feeding off the surface (i threw everything at him, flys, spinnners, spoons, cricket, worm, grasshopper).. the minute I casted the gut (that white stuff), the brown pounces on it..