Trout on ice

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by CatHound, Dec 9, 2006.

1. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went ice fishing yesterday and between my friend and I we iced around 80 fish. All were big cutthroats except one nice fat football rainbow.

Here's some photos.

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A few more photos.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Sounds like you had a great day on the ice, thanks for the pics. I assume they dont have a limit on trout, In N.Y. we are only allowed to keep five trout. We still dont have any decent ice on the big lakes.

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that we did not keep most of the fish.

Yes we do have limits on trout. Actually there are slot limits where a person can not keep any cutthroat between 15 and 22 inches. But, any rainbow can be kept.

All fish were released except 2 cutthroats over 22 inches and a rainbow.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Howard - That is awesome! Thanks for posting the pics!:0a18: :0a31:

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    dang man, your killin me! i sure do miss Strawberry.

Nice pics and thanks for sharin.

cyas
    robert

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Never Ice fished but that looks like FUN:dribble:

8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    From looking at the surroundings it sure seems like a long ways from Missouri! Thanks for the pictures, I'm only 30 miles form Taneycomo but I still don't trout fish, but if that's all I had I'd be there.:roll_eyes:

9. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, you gotta love them 'Berry cutts ! If you get back out here look me up.

10. kocat238

kocat238 New Member

State:
    Ky
    great catch here in the bluegrass state of ky we just get to keep 8 mostly small fry but them babies fry up real tasty nice lookin fish.

11. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I too have always wanted to ice fish but I don't see Central Texas lake freezing over any time soon:dribble: :0a18:

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

I may do that, but it will be next year just before ice-up. Have a buddy in Oregon that used to come down for a week in late Oct/early Nov for the action at Da Berry. I usually stocked up on red shiners from scofield and had a bunch of them frozen waitin for the action...man those were some fun times.

He caught a 6lb bruiser (cut, of course) on our last day up there, the last year i lived there. Was awesome!

cyas
    robert

13. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I miss ice fishing in CO. Those are some nice trout. I'll try and post some of my ice fishin pics after I can get some scanned.

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Man does that look cold or what? No wonder I don't venture out fishing when it's that cold. Tried it once in Illinois and felt like a well diggers shovel in the Klondike the whole time. Nice fish however.

15. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Chuck i used to think the same thing, but if you have the right clothes, and equipment you can be comfortable in below zero weather. It is a great way to get through the winter blaughs.

16. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ive always wanted to try ice fishing looks really fun and would be out of the ordinary for me. Nice fishs and thanks for the pics. Man did it look cold out there.

Wheelmobile07

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice going on the trout. That looks fun.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    What kind of "ice rods" were you usin? the flip-up's or a standard ice rig? I guess alot of guys up here in Pa. use those hand winders...Theyr'e like a bobbin or a kite string keeper type thing-a-ma-bob... :confused2: :big_smile:

19. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know what those jigging sticks are, but I don't use them myself. I also don't use tip-ups, as I would prefer to play the fish on a regular rod and reel. I use regular ice rods.

Here's a photo of them.