Trout Nightcrawler Hooks

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 17, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    What are the all around good size and style of hook to use when fishing with a nightcrawler to catch browns ranging from 8-15 inches?

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    every hook is different and the sizes aren't 'standard'... all the same- baitholder no 8's work fine for me. (most 4's and some 6's seem too big) also keep in mind conditions generally as trout get pickier (or lethargic in cold water) the hooks get smaller and so do the worms...

if there's any uncertainty, smaller is better. :wink:

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ohh, something to add...

the hook is always rated to the BAIT, not the fish.:wink: I've seen people catch itty bitty bluegills on a big cricket with a size 4 hook and people catch huge 30# steelheads on single salmon eggs on a size 12 salmon egg hook...

Its always the same as the bait...

thus nightcrawlers demand a bigger hook by far than say mealworms; although they both might catch the very same 12" brown trout (or for that matter a 22" brown trout)...

hope this helps.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Well baitholders do fine sizes 6-8 do fine for half a nightcrawler. I prefer to use size 8 circle hooks to keep the trout from swallowing the hook, which they do quite often.

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I know people who fish BIG hooks for this very reason...

Big hooks don't connect to as many fish, but aren't as often gutswallowed.

myself, I think if you're fishing trout with worms your prolly food fishin' anyway as there are lot more pleasant and engaging games to play with trout (such as fly fishing:wink:)

6. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    For baitholders, I will use a 6 or an 8

7. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    a whole nightcrawler dead drifted after a rainfall, fished up next to an undercut bank or a deadfall is deadly for trout. now that being said give some thought to a worm harness, like those used by walleye fishermen. it keeps the worm elongated as opposed to bunched up on one hooh. probably in size 8 or 10 should do.