Trout in the Colorado River

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by DeltaTango, Sep 5, 2006.

1. DeltaTango

DeltaTango New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Not a catfish question, obviously, but thought someone might know...

Now, I know there are plenty of trout in certain spots in the Colorado River, but has anyone ever heard of them in the Lower River, specifically south of Morelos Dam? I swear I saw several schools of rainbows today, and I'm pretty sure I would recognize one since that's what I always fished for growing up. But that water doesn't get over 6-8 feet deep in the deepest spots south of the dam, and its got to be pretty darn warm.

2. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I am not aware of any trout located in the lower Colorado. Most of the areas with trout are found upstream of Lake Mead. Pretty much any body of water that has striper and flatheads will not have trout. They don't mix very well!! :lol:

There have been stories of trout swimming downstream and into Lake Powell. Often times they are seen being eaten in feasting boils of stripers.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have been meaning to do a trout fishing trip to the colorado..
    ~ A friend of mine tells me about all the great fishing at the bottom of the grand canyon. I have been meaning to try this..

* :004: Anyone do this before?

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Lee's Ferry is a great trout fishery. It is popular, but really nice. If you get a chance, you should try it.

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    you'll find trout as far south as the river just above havasu, dude on another board was just talking about getting some around the topock marsh

6. ReelErInn

ReelErInn New Member

State:
    Arizona baby
    never been. sounds like fun. might wanna go.

7. USMC4u

USMC4u New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have'nt heard of any in that area.