Trout Help - Stocked Patagonia lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by somozajc, Nov 14, 2008.

1. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey guys! They stocked Patagonia lake with Trout and i was wondering what you used as for bait, hook, line, rig, and how you fished for trout. Like I've said before, i'm new to fishing and I want to have fun with my boys. They really enjoy fishing. Thanks

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck fishing with your boys. I doubt there is a better way to spend time with them

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have caught alot of trout on rooster tails about 1/8 ounce size lures as far as the color you will have to figure that out at your body of water . I have many rooster tail lures so I just throwing different lures till I find the color they like that day . Heres a picture of a rooster tail lure (inline spinner )
    you can get them at walmart .

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sure fire way to catch trout is to get grasshoppers or crckets and put them on a number 8 hook about 3-4 ft underneath a bobber at first light or dusk. If the sun is up, youre going to have to fish deep so Id use a small split shot and cast out as far as I could and let it sink.

5. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I like to lure fish for trout myself. Rooster tails work well and I like Kastmasters with half a nightcrawler on the treble hook so it dangles just a little. Remember to use light tackle. I would say about 4lb test and no bigger than a #6 hook. Something that can be efficient and easy for the kids is a nightcrawler about 3ft under a bobber. My son is 4yrs old and that is how he caught his first fish(trout) off the bank at one of the lakes out here. You can also use a sinker/slider weight about 3-4ft up the line with powerbait or salmon eggs at the end of the line. Just remember that one of the keys to catching trout is light tackle. Hope you and the kids have as much fun as me and my boy. Take it easy. Tight linez.

Sean!

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    powerballs tiped with corn is a great bait to start off with:smile2:

7. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    try some roostertail lures or panther martins 4 u and just a bobber and a treble hook 4 your boys with worms or grasshoppers will work 2 and have fun with your boys:wink:

8. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona

Thanks for the info. I plan to take my kids out tomorrow. I will definitly give the roster tail a try with the nightcrawler and also the bobber with the 3 foot leader for my kids.

9. team454ss

team454ss New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Try this approach. Very small hooks, #6 is good. Split shot wieght about 18 inches bove the hook. Get Bubbles!! Kinda like a bobber only you run your line through the center BEFORE you put anything on!!! Leave the bubble set on full slip. This means when you cast out, your bait will sink to the bottom under the bubble, keeping your line free of obstacles, and no bobber floating to the side. Sometimes you may need to tighten the bubble to get it to float, which makes it just like a bobber, but remember this!!! When trout pick a worm up off the bottom the usually do it when it hits, and with conviction!!! When a worm is suspended they often just kinda lip kiss the end of the worm and try to take it home. My Wife uses bobbers alot for trout, and catches fish, but usually the hook is in the eye, or the fish is hooked from the outside of the mouth. If you are float fishing, best to let them run a little, get your slack out and wait to feel a tug before setting the hook. People say trout are smart, spooky, this and that. B. S.!!!! They are dumb ass hell!!! They are slobs who don't always swallow there food and chew with there mouths open!!! (Unlike the Cats!!!) But they are beautifull and tasty, easy to clean... Have fun, Brother:wink:

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Throw some marshmallows and then use a shotgun.

11. RedCorn

RedCorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good way to go Mr. Micheal, you think game shot will do just fine??

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Powerbait on a size 16 treble hook is good. Have a slip shot about 8-10 inches above your bait. Use 2-4 pound test. I prefer using 3 pound maxima. That normally works good. I like the twist formula's in powerbait. Also the nightcrawler and marshmellow combo works fine on a size 6 single hook. Or you can just inflate your nightcrawler. I like to use whole crawlers and fish it the same way you would the powerbait.

If you feel like casting and reeling Kastmasters is also good to toss out and roostertails. Jigging mini jigs tiped with a mealworm is also good.

13. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    "the nightcrawler and marshmellow combo works"

How do you set it up? How far up do i put the marshmellow?

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    using minny marshmellow, slide it up the hook to the hook eye. then the worm goes on next. or can do the opposite way. they both work. when i was trout fishing, i always like the colored marshmellows. seems like the trout like different colored lures, why not the bait?
    gary

15. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nah, you guys got it all wrong. Full choke, number 6 or 7 shot in an autoloader as those trout are powerful fast. Just throw out a handful of granola and then pow pow pow. Remember to aim a foot or so below the fish as there is a dogleg effect from the light being bent by the waters surface. Always catch and release.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Gary hit the nail right on for the nightcrawler and mellow combo. Thats been the ole faithful for me for years.

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    MichaelP, now how ya gonna use'm fer livebait, if'n ya got'm all shot to pieces like thet?? :eek:oooh:

18. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Its easy, I just get their mourning relatives with the cast net.

19. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    Well guys, I took my boys out this Turkey weekend. We went out friday and we caught 24 trout. Then headed out on Sunday and caught 11 more. We had a blast. I would set the hook and the boys would reel them in . I tried marshmellow with nightcrawler and they did'nt seem to like that combo. One of my buddies had told me to try velvetta chesse with garlic salt. I would get a little piece of chesse, make a little ball, then dip it in the garlic salt. At about 2 feet up i would put a small split shoot. The trout were going crazy for it. Also, Saturday, We had a fish fry, I had 45 trout that i had been acumalating over the last couple of weeks. They were tasty. We had alot of people with full tummy's.

20. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    carlos, just a little friendly advise and warning. check your limits on trout possesions. six in possesion for adult license, and 3 for under age 14. that's in possesion. might want to be careful what you post sometimes. i know that sometimes F&G do read these boards.
    but it did sound like you guys had a ball. had forgotten about the cheese. i use it for catfish a lot also.
    gary