Trout Guts

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I'm not sure what the regs in your area are but if you can use them in your state I have caught some big channel on Trout Guts (on private land for all you game wardens out there). Anyone tried it??????

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

2. coloradowhiskerchaser

coloradowhiskerchaser New Member

State:
    colorado
    Catmaster,

If you don't mind me asking what state did you use the trout guts in? I am in Colorado and catch a lot of trout. I have heard of guys using them for cats and doing really well. I am thinking of trying it this spring. Thanks for the info!

Brett

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    ive used them and also did well on them. great tuff bait (stays on the hook) and really smells and works well!

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I notice that your profile says you're from Kansas. In case you didn't realize...in Kansas it's legal to use whatever species you wish to use as long as it's been caught by legal means....and all length limits...creel and possession limits have been observed in doing so. In the case of trout...that means by hook and line...and you can use up to five trout a day. Special regulations may be in effect concerning creel and/or other limitations in your area...check your regs. Kansas CO's have zero sympathy for ignorance or disregard either one of fishing or boating regulations.

I have used trout guts extensively in some of the state run strip pits we have here in Se Kansas. (Mined Land Wildlife Area) I have caught MANY very nice channel cats on trout guts and cut trout as well...up to 20 lb +.

I have found that trout are similar to shad in texture...both are oily in nature...and stink!

As a matter of fact the Kansas state record channel cat (36.5 lb) was caught on cut trout in the trout pit inside area #30 in the Mined Land Wildlife area. That record channel still swims inside an aqarium inside Cabelas in Kansas City, Kansas.

5. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    For gut sacks i really don't think it matters from what fish, I can't picture a catfish passing and kind of bloddy morsel like a gut sack, from any fish.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i havent used just the guts. but i have caught somenice Bluecats on cut Rainbow trout. Theres something about the oils and blood that drive them nuts

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes The trout guts are great bait. I done well with those. But even better for big channels and cats are the heads. They are deadly. Especially in waters that has trout as well as catfish. Big blues gobble up the trout like candy. Cut trout is also good. It really tough and stays on the hook well, plus the small scales seems to come off around the bait in the water as well as the amino acids of the bait and it attracts the cats.

8. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That's great news about using trout. I use them live for stripers, and always have a couple left over. I usually throw them in the lake (even though they won't survive long) I am going to try to use them for some big cats tomorrow....I will try to let you know if it works.

9. wildman36

wildman36 New Member

State:
    oregon
    Ive found that trout guts and strips work pretty good.I always save the guts from the trout I catch for cat fish bait

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    hey crash you never caught a cat on a live trout? the guys on the river here catch both strippers and cats on the live trout.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Strippers on live trout eh?

And here I have been going about it the wrong way this whole time by using dollar bills...and the occasional two dollar bill!! (Looks like a twenty in low light conditions...but only works once)

I'll give that a try!! ;)

12. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Never caught one on a trout. We just recently got the A Ok to use them legally. Maybe I will pick one up soon. Heres to hoping...

13. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what about other fish guts?

14. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    every year when i trout fish i always keep the heads, and small peices of the trout after i am done cleaning them, bluecat love a good trout head. they are a killer bait. when its avaible. trout eggs and hamburger and corn flakes wroks well for channels.