Trout for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bumper, Nov 10, 2008.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I was wondering if anyone here has ever used trout for cutbait, and did it work if you did (don't see why it wouldn't). I bought a couple big trout today and I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow and see if it would be worth doin' again.

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Send me the trout. I'll eat it. In return,I'll send you a bucket of gizzard shad for bait.

3. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Lots of guys up here swear by them, but they use them live. The Pa. fish commission donates them in most of our streams and some rivers.

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i've used the head and guts every now and then , caught a few channels i'd rather use Gill's though . i'm pretty sure the channel's eat them as a food source ( here were i live ) being a stocked resivor and all as well as other fish . good topic here this spring i will use more trout part's on 1 rig and Gill's on another and see what happens .

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well trout are my fave fish to eat so im not feeding theam to the kittys lol

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Make sure you check your states regulations first. I know some states have laws against so called sport fish being used as bait.

7. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    Yeah most states have regulations on using sprot fish for bait. Altough i believe trout would be an excellent bait for catfish cut up or whole. i have seen flatheads caught with trout still in their mouths. seems like an idea to me.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I had a really nice run this year on a 12" rainbow live this year. I pulled the hook though. I was going for Flatheads below a low level dam.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the bigger channels i catch in the spring have trout in their stomachs, so i am sure they'd be good bait. they are pretty bloody when i clean them. i can't use them for bait in tx.

10. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Dont like it.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive caught several nice cats on trout head i used before,even turtle or 2,so yeah they work

12. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

trout is awesome bait for channels. last time I used live trout for bait a northern ate it before the catfish got to it.:confused2:

13. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I know a couple guys that used them live for flats, and caught some monster fish. I'm going to try them this year

14. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    That's kinda like using shrimp too. lol they will eat them but I WOULD MUCH RATHER BEAT THEM TO IT:wink:

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Thanks to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Commission. They cordially feed the Arkansas River Bluecats and Stripers sometimes twice a week on the Illinois River. The blues come upstream on nice sunny days to get a gutfull of the pretty rainbows. The biggest stripers in the state make daily trips upstream for an easy meal and every year, there are several very plump flathead noodled from the cold waters just below Tenkiller Dam.

Thank you, ODWC! We apreciate you as much or more than the bluecat, striper and flathead!. :smile2:

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My 2 biggest channel cats from the Skuke came off of rainbow trout heads. Haven't been able to keep a nice stocker alive to use em as flathead bait thought:embarassed::sad2:.

It's great, every spring, the PA Fish Commission dumps a bunch of bait in out creeks:smile2::cool2:.

17. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey tan, did you have them in you live well or a bait tank at home. just wondering was think of try them even before seeing this thread. i have a bait tank at home that i keep gills,chubs,suckers,perch,crappie,and big shinner's in i still have some from last oct. just wondering how long they lived for,and where you had them? ....justin

18. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey tan, did you have them in you live well or a bait tank at home. just wondering was think of try them even before seeing this thread. i have a bait tank at home that i keep gills,chubs,suckers,perch,crappie,and big shinner's in i still have some from last oct. just wondering how long they lived for,and where you had them? ....justin

19. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey tan, did you have them in you live well or a bait tank at home. just wondering was think of try them even before seeing this thread. i have a bait tank at home that i keep gills,chubs,suckers,perch,crappie,and big shinner's in i still have some from last oct. and i belong to a sportsman club and we stock some creeks and lakes around so i have "access" to them(lol). just wondering how long they lived for,and where you had them? ....justin

20. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey tan, did you have them in you live well or a bait tank at home. just wondering was think of try them even before seeing this thread. i have a bait tank at home that i keep gills,chubs,suckers,perch,crappie,and big shinner's in i still have some from last oct. and i belong to a sportsman club and we stock some creeks and lakes around so i have "access" to them(lol). just wondering how long they lived for,and where you had them? ....justin