Trout for bait?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Nov 14, 2008.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've heard stories of people using trout/trout heads as cutbait for blues and channels...anyone here ever tried it?

I love to trout fish and kept some heads and a few hunks of cut bait from my last trip. Thinking about tryin it on the Kaw this winter.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont know how well they will do where they are not a food source, but the state record channel cat was caught in a strip pit in SE Kansas that was stocked with trout. I believe that was the bait that got him too but I dont know for sure. Better than letting it go to waste I suppose.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I say just throw the whole damm rocky mountain trout out there for a Kansas catfish to chew on..Hee!Hee!

Really I dont know...but you have to say that catfish seem to smell bait diffferant than what we do.We call it stink bait but a catfish calls it dinner!!

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    In a lake where trout fingerlings were stocked regularly, a whole dead trout
    might be what a big cat might be looking for and used to eating. They dump
    them all in at once, don't they? The one's that didn't make it on the trip to
    be released would just flutter down to the bottom, an eight to twelve inch
    long MRE for a cat to find later, right? Stick a hook in it and wait a while.
    Listen to some Beach Boys and think Southern Californian thoughts for a
    couple of hours. Think about that rainbow of possibilities...like a wetback.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Michael how you doing.Nice to see you back up and running.Alwas look forward to reading your reply's and new post's.

Have you been fishing latley.I ate a mess of crappie's the other day with fried tators and beans Hmmmmmmmm!

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Your fishing reports make most of my fluids start pumping, Tom. Is saliva one
    of the mostly clear ones? Sounds like a really good supper you had there!

7. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    well i have used guts before for cannel cat at wyandotte. did well with them

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin, you know around here they stock the city ponds with those trout. Don't they die off at some point in the spring cause the water temp gets too high or something? I don't know that for sure, but I know they aren't native and they stock them every winter, so I just assume the ones that aren't caught die off and can't sustain a population. That being said, I think that would be the best time and place to use it as cut bait. Freeze 'em and hang on to them for next spring and we'll go after that fluke 12 pounder at KDOT again. Never know, he might be a 20 next year.

9. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the insight guys. I figured it might do ok where trout are either stocked or natural. I would imagine table rock might have some cats go after trout, as the spring that leads into table rock is the river I fish for trout in, and I'm sure some of them make it all the way to the lake.

I'm sure early spring when they're all dieing off from the warm temperatures in the local ponds I could probably slaughter some channels with it.

Might have to give it a shot on the Kaw/MO for the blues.

10. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I WONDER WHAT THE FLATHEADS IN THE WALNUT BELOW THE TROUT AREA AT EL DORADO DO? I KNOW THEY OPEN THE FENCE IN THE SRRING
    AND FUSH THE TROUT OUT AND DOWN THE WALNUT, THEY ARE WAITING
    FOR A FAT TROUT :big_smile:

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Michael, no Crappie eaten here, but we did have a nice mess of deep fried Bluecat fillets,beer, German potato salad, beer, and then a beer, the beers were all imports of course, German, Warsteiner and Leinenkugle:wink::smile2: oh yeah, I think I had a Sam Adams Creamy Stout(almost like a German beer):roll_eyes::smile2:

12. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    In the ponds, yes the trout should die from hyperthermia. But in a large body such as table rock the trout should do ok in the heat of summer, even so if the trout mingle with cats there has to be some kind of predation goin on, so trout should be at least a productive bait. Just be sure to check your laws before ya try it, here in utah if you are usin trout for bait even if it is dead. They will hang ya out to dry.

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    ???????:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2::smile2:

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Let me explain my above post.LOL!
    Someone posted a weird link that had nothing to do with anything and that was my response.:smile2:
    Then it was deleted and I was left with that.:eek:oooh::smile2:

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    We believe you Kyle.:smile2:

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Whatever Kyle, we all know you're crazy. We've all come to expect weird out of place posts like that from you. Hows the winter treating you, you still fishing or are you getting cabin fever? You ever get down to OK for some winter blue fishing? I STILL haven't scored on any deer and I've come to loath the bird hunters (not really, they have the same privilege to be there that I do) who have ruined deer hunting at El dorado. I was out there a few days ago when it was about 10 degrees and the roads were terrible... still saw 2 bird hunters trompin around, I couldn't believe it I thought I'd be the only one out there. Anyway, in a few months we should go around to all the city ponds after freeze out and stock up on the shad kill like Jim does.

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thats my story and I am stickin to it.LOL!
    Steve, I have been alright. Been wonderin where youve been.
    Fishin has been almost non existant. I have boat projects to finish before I can get to Ok to go after any blues. I am hoping to get a good start on it after the new year.
    Im actually thinkin about fishin tomorrow for a little while. Mainly just to see the river. I miss her.:sad2:
    Christmas is supposed to be in the upper 50s, so they say, so I may go then too.:cool2: That will feel GOOD after all this snow and negative wind chills.
    Sorry to hear about the hunting woes. That sucks. I know you will get you one.
    I am up for a shad stock up. I just picked up a big foodsaver so I am ready. If I can get out to Afton I may try to net some soon. There are some big ones in there.

18. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds good. Good luck tommorrow. I really want to get out there and get some dead shad this year. It seemed to really work well early spring, although not so much the rest of the year. I'd like to get some of my own this year instead of spending $4 a jar. I'll probably be walking around a few ponds at the end of Jan. Last year I was a little too late. By the way, once deer season is over I'll be getting pretty bored so if you need a hand with the boat projects just let me know.

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks. I may give you a call when I start fixin them up.
    Maybe a local boat building gathering in Jan?:roll_eyes:
    I will buy the beer and supply a cookout and we can all get together and talk fishin and hone our carpentry skills.:big_smile: I will also take anyone who helps on a fishin trip.:wink::smile2: I can also throw in some sinkers.:cool2:

20. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ive used em but i only use em in winter cuz thats when they stock trout and thats when you'll have the best luck on em caught some nice channels but not to much to say on blues:confused2: