trout fishing newbie

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by PTDixieGal, Oct 25, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Hi,

I primarily fish for catfish but a couple of years ago I moved to a new neighborhood and I found out late last year that in October they start stocking my home lake (Lake Cherrywood) with trout, so I thought I'd give that a try this year. Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks! :)

2. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    We have a couple places here that stock trout. We bank fish in Jan-Feb for them. Lite spinning rod, 6# line. A #6 or 8 salmon egg hook and the lightest sinker I can get away with. For bait, we use Berkely power eggs. I've seen folks use other stuff, but those are the best, hands down.

This is my wife's first try at it. They're small, but it's some GOOD eatin'. Fun, too!!

Attached Files:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    what has been working for me is a small roostertail about an 1/8 once and the rainbow color ones , those trout here are crazy for it .

you can also use plain worm and a light split shot and slowly reel it in .

i see fellas catching alot on whole corn on a jig also

you can use a small spoon lure .

salmon eggs work wonders also rigged same way as the worm .

just some different ones to try when one isnt working .

they seem to stay bunched up so if you find 1 there is more .

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I agree with the rooster tails...they work really good . The problem is that you need to find out what color they take in your waters . Here they love the white/small black dots . Every body of water takes different pattern lures. When you find the color pattern it's on !!!

I'm also in favor of the night crawler . I use a small hook on #4 to #6 line, 1/2 a crawler , split shot if needed.

If the worms, corn ( see of its legal ), power baits, salmon eggs, etc don't work I would ask at the local bait shops. Just remember you wont need fancy high dollar lures at all ; )

Stocked trout are use to eating high protein pellet food and normally will feed good in the morning .

Oh and the cats like the trout heads. I hope ya nail em...they are a lot of fun,,,especially if you can take some kids when they are hitting good . I took my kids last season and we caught 70 rainbows in 3 hours ; )

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i usually use meal worms,maggots or worms one of the 3 they usually hit

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    try everything , lures, spinners , crawlers ,powerbait ,salmon eggs . your fishing a stocked lake they'll hit all day , here some spinners you might try
    mepps , panther martin , as the guys said rooster tails . spoons castmasters , dare devil's of any sort , crocidiles . rapalas work very well
    tiger stripe count downs , your split bodies, suspending , trout pattern or german brown pattern . there's all kinds of bait's for you to try you just have to find the ones them fish your fishing for like .

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Well, stockers really like spinners, gold and silver. Nightcrawlers are hard to beat too. Powerbait is the best artificial there is. Usually you can find a color your trout like and catch them all day.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Before ya go spending a ton of money on everything check out what the other trout fishers use. Trout are picky, Ive caught 50-60 in 2 hours and go back the next day and catch 2 all day, same spot same setup. Sometimes they like powerworms somedays spinners. Personally nitrobait works best for my area, this year it might change. Also I always have my fly rod with me, sometimes thats what they want. Hope this helps.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Worms shimp and corn on all the communty ponds work great try cabot' pond and paradise in jacksonville the limits For trout on the ponds are the same as state wide unless posted they should be stocking strippers now good fishing have fun:smile2:

10. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck to you newbie. I have good luck with power bait or nightcrawlers. Don't like having to work for fish doing alot of casting. just throw it out and let it sit..they'll find it pretty quick on their own. I use spinning rods with 4# test.

11. 92yj

92yj New Member

State:
    ca
    i use #2 lb line and a size 16 treble hook i set it up like a Carolina rig. my bait of choice is nightcrawlers inflated and dipped in nitro gravy. i also like power bait and corn.

Attached Files: