Trout Advice

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by ArmyCatfish, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Im originally from northern nevada and grew up catching trout if anyone has any questions about trout fishing in lakes, rivers, or streams let me know ive fished most of the US and might be able to help:wink:

2. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    have you ever done any trout fishing in missouri like the trout parks?

3. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ive done a lil when i was passin through once. they are all planted fish and planters bite the same any where

4. raildan

raildan New Member

State:
    ca
    i recently went fishing in a very slow moving river for rainbows.the dfg planted about 15 or so two pounders right in front of my two rods.one rod had nightcrawlers and the other flaoting glitter green power bait.the guy from dfg said it should take about an hour for some action:big_smile:.well after about 3hours and trying some salmon eggs in place of the power the power bait,nothing:angry:.what did i do wrong:confused2:,thanks in advance for any advice.

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not sure you did anything wrong but from my experience fishing at Lake Taneycomo in southwest Missouri, if they were running water through the dam you could get by with 4 pound test line but if the current was slow you needed to use a 2 pound leader. Maybe they could see the line you were using? JMO

6. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    Before moving to NC, I lived my life in Maine. I never dealt with stocked rainbows before due to having native brook trout. I found fishing for stockies is harder then native fish. What does everyone use for stockies?
    Thanks,
    John

7. raildan

raildan New Member

State:
    ca
    thanks steve i was fishing with my catfish rigs ugly sticks and 10lb cajun red line.i'll get myself set up with a trout rig and give it another shot.

8. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    stockers especialy when first stocked are very easy. they usualy havnt eatin anything for a couple days. nightcrawlers and power bait usualy works fine. but like any fishing some days you just aint gonna catch nothn

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I've only fished for trout that have been stocked, and I can tell you that they like Powerbait. They like worms too, but they like Powerbait... BTW, you should try fishing for them at night, they bite then too!

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when i was little we had all the native trout you could shake a stick at, and a few different species. now in texas all we have is an opportunity to catch stockers. it's fun to do but not the same as it was when i was a kid. i catch them on dough, but pretty much anything will do. one year i was jigging live minnows at a culvert and killing them, that was fun. here's the average size of the ones i catch, usually 3-400 a winter. after april the bass and channel cats eat them up as the water warms. every cat i fillet has trout in its stomach.

Attached Files:

11. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    as far as stocked vs. wild, stocked trout are fed till they get stocked, normally...they don't really seem to be as cautious about what they eat till they get hooked!!!as far as catching fish right after being stocked they're usually pretty stressed out and not hungry and depending on the size of the river..?..they might have been long gone after being released.. and i think we all know that sometimes they just don't want what we wanna give them:0a28::006::0a18:

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I sure have a hard time catchin them. I been fishing stocked rainbows in a small lake/reservoir in So Calif. Using power bait, and power worms. A guy I fish with usually catches his limit and mine. A couple times I caught some. But he does real well. I use 4 lb P line, and 2 lb leaders of flourocarbon. I put a slip sinker on, a bead, then a small snap swivel and 3-4 ft leader with bait on it. usually fishing on the bottom, the bait floats up off the bottom. Sometimes under a bobber, 4-6 ft deep. I've tried watchin em in the shallows, using worms, hard bait, soft bait, jigs, plasitc worms, salmon eggs, fake colored salmon eggs, just no luck. Sometimes I use a leader made of 4 lb p line.