Troubleshooting my 85 hp Force Outboard

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DawgHouse, Apr 9, 2009.

1. DawgHouse

DawgHouse New Member

State:
    PA
    I need some help troubleshooting two problems on my 85 hp Force Outboard. The problem I'm having is sometimes when I go to start it all I get is a clicking sound or nothing at all, then it fires up. It seems to happen the most when I fire it up cold, run down river, shut it off, fish, and then go to restart it later. I've replace the igntion key, checked all the grounds, got new batterys and had the starter rebuilt. The second question is at idle it pisses water out the back two hole, but at Wide open throttle it doesn't piss nearly as much. Is this a problem? I don't know enough about outboard motors and just keep getting the run around from service places. Any help would be great Thanks:embarassed:

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    No where near a mechanic, but it sure sounds like a low battery or loose connection don't it. If it was me I'd start by tracing wires from the battery to the ignition. Do they run through a fuse panel? Maybe a loose connection there. Anywhere a little jostling could open the connection if it was loose and not let enough juice through.

Not sure how to check that little water impeller.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Dawg re-start your thread on "bubbas'" outboard repair thread som he can chime in ...i will say if it aint "pissin" right you can burn it up...sounds like an impeller issue...

4. DawgHouse

DawgHouse New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the help guys!! I'll repost it on the repair forum. I'm glad you let me know about that cause the first thing I came to was boat tips.:smile2: