Trouble with Quantum Big cat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by brad kilpatrick, Jun 16, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    About two weeks ago I bought a heavy action Quantum Big Cat rod. On the first cast of its second outing It snapped right above the reel seat. I didn't have the rod overloaded or anything like that just a 3oz no roll and a chunk of cut carp. I'm very disapointed with this happening. Not sure I can trust these rods anymore.

Anyone else have any trouble with the big cat rods????

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brad, thats horrible man.

I have always loved Big Cats, but I recently bought a Fenwick Water Eagle rod (well a few months ago) & this is now my favorite rod. The price was $49 I thtink, so $10 more than a Big Cat. If your looking for a new rod, give this a try. if you dont like it, I'll buy it back from you.

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I'll Have to give that Fenwick Rod a try.

The good news is That it appears that Quantum is gonna stand behind the rod and replace it. I called and talked to a CS guy and He wanted Me to send it to Him. I complained about the added cost in time and money shipping Him the rod, especally after only two fishing trips of use. So they are gonna send the UPS guy over to the house to pick up the rod and ship it back to them on Zebco's dime.

BUT....even after they replace it I'll be on pins and needles with that rod untill I catch a good fish on it. Life is too short to wonder about fishing gear.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Brad it sounds like you just got a damaged or defective rod somehow...I have never had a problem with mine....but all I have are the Medium and Medium Heavy actions. Think that was just a fluke because mine seem very reliable, in fact I throw about the same weight your talking about on mine....2 oz on Medium and 3 oz on medium heavy with 8 inch shad.:confused2:

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Ken,
    I sure hope so. I'm just glad It didn't cost Me a fish. I would have been Ticked then.

I've also got a MH action That i've had no problems with. I know its a good one because I've already caught a 30 lb blue in a very heavy current. But I found myself wondering about it after the H action one broke.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Brad, I've had 4 of these rods for about 4-5 years and had absolutely no problems other than the ceramic insert on one guide popping out when breaking 30-40lb test line when snagged. The only drawback I see is the guides. Stainless would be nice.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Oh, and by the way, had any luck recently?

8. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Brad, I've heard of this happening to another guy that has fished with the big cat rods for years and years. I think that they had a little problem with this years models. From what he said, quantum is supposed to recall and replace the rods, new and improved. I have faith in quantum and that they will stand behind their product and make good their name.:cool2:

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Brad, I have had 4 rods break. 3 of them broke right below the first eye and 1 broke right in the middle setting the hook on a 8lb. channel, also have had the eyes pop out. I will never own another of there rods.

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    sounds like pretty mixed reviews to Me........Not idealy what I wanted to hear, I was hoping that it was a fluky type thing. What a shame, I can get these rods Wholesale for $27 a piece.

I can't afford to worry about My gear failing. In the water that I fish There is definatly State record possibilitys and Thats what I'm hoping to catch. Guess I need to pony up a few more bucks, and find a higher quality rod. Any suggestions???

Here is a pic of the broken rod

Attached Files:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stik tiger brad, m/h action.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

J.W., there is a time i would have agreed wholeheartedly with that statement, but they are getting a little better now.

the RSC3 and RSC5 closed-faced reels are as good as there is on the market today. don't know about their baitcasters and open-faced reels tho.

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Brad, you sound like someone that is really serious about his fishing, so my response is based on that assumption. If you live in Kansas then you are looking for a world record. Knowing what I know now I would get one made, especially if I wanted to take all the anxiety out of my fishing. At least that way I don't have to deal with the mass production, and I can have at least a couple of gems in the arsenal. If anything goes wrong I can speed dial the rod builder to ease my pain instead of wondering which employee decided to take a short cut that day. Again, if you don't want to take chances with the fish of a lifetime this is the direction I would go in. There are a few others on here that can attest to the facts that I'm speaking on. I can't afford to have a complete arsenal of custom built rods, but I can certainly justify owning a couple. You are going to pay a little more than a store bought rod, but at least you know that you will have a rod built to your specifications, not everybody elses. Personally, I hope you get your world record...

Happy hunting,
    Vic

Take care,
    Vic

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Vic,
    I guess i should have clarified My intentions. A world record would definatly be great, but The 123lb flathead mark is gonna be hard to match. The Kansas bluecat record is only 94 lbs, and I feel it will be broken in the next couple of seassons. I live minutes away from The confuence off the kansas and missouri Rivers, and This area offers some excellent trophy fishing. Average fish this year seems to be around the 30lb class and up. With an average fish of this size The record is just around the corner.

I have one custom rod Right now and She is a beauty!!! but so was the price tag.....$250 I can only afford to add maybe one or two a year to My collection. I've been trying to find an affordable rod to use in the interm while I save to add customs to the arsenal. so far not much success, Mass produced rods for the type of fishing I'm doing just don't seem
    to be up to the task. Unfortunatly it seems That the rod manifactures have tabbed Catfisherman as unwilling to pay premium prices for A premium product. Hence the discontinuation of the High end cat rods like the St. Croix Classic Cat and The E-cat. I'm currently looking into some Musky rods and some surf casting rods but The price is What I can get a custom for and would much rather go that route. With A custom I get exactly what I want!!!!

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Brad,

Like you, I can afford to have a rod built every now and then, but it's worth it! Wanting a custom rod is almost as addicting as being a member of the BOC! ROTFLOL! I don't have much fishing equipment, but I made a promise to myself that any rod purchases I make in the future will be in that direction, especially for catfishing! I don't live in an area that will yield catfish like the kind you're after, but that doesn't stop me in preparing my arsenal for the big boys. Some call it overkill, I call it smart. LOL. Don't let the market dictate what you fish with, but you know that already. Yeah it's a shame they took those rods that you mentioned off the market, but if you're still interested in a St. Croix I think Griz knows where you can get one. Also, you might want to do some research on Surge Rods. There's a guy that's close to you that distributes them. They are eight footers that are slicker than spit with plenty of backbone, and a soft tip. They are also white to boot to help with your night vision. They don't get mentioned much on here with all the Ugly Stik/Quantum talk, but they are worth looking at...The Virginia blue record was landed with a Surge. The bad thing about them is the guides are not braid friendly, but if mono is your thing...

All that being said, custom is the thing as you know. If you want contact info on the Surge rods shoot me a PM...

Take care,
    Vic

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think there is just a flaw in a blank sometimes. I have seen it before in a different rod where it just halfheartedly snapped. That one broke in an odd spot. Get your new one and abuse it and see what happens.

Daiwa makes some suitable rods if you want a longer one and they aren't that expensive. I have one in the mail. We shall see.

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    dude if ya don't trust it don't use it, sell the new one on ebay and get your self and ugly stix tiger, dont think ya can get anything better for the money, i have a BWC/AO 2201 w/ a penn 321 on it and it pulled a 48lb flat in without any kinda problem all, all the poll ull ever need

18. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I have broke every quantum rod i've owned and had every reel fly/fall apart literally on ridiculous occasions where nothing should happen. I have completely boycotted their crap and zebco is just not worth the hassel anymore. if you want to be prepared as mentioned, ugly stick tiger stick is the only way to travel.

19. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    I was going to buy a Bigcat rod but saw some Surge rods next to them. I looked at the rod and it looked good. Lots of eyes, white, tons of backbone. I hadn't heard of Surge so I asked the guy at the bait shop(who fishes cat tournaments and is sponsored by Quantum) about them versus Bigcat. He said he couldn't recomend the Bigcat rods and showed me 2 bigcat rods of his that had snapped at the reel seat.

He then goes on to show me the Surge rods (which he now uses much to his sponsors displeasure) strength by placing the rod tip on the floor, the butt of the rod on his shoulder, then he fell forward. He was leaning all the way forward (185 lbs) on the rod and the rod held him upright at about 45 degrees. He said he'd never try that with a Bigcat.

He then told me of a demonstration that he himself had seen, where a guy filled a 5 gallon bucket with water, snapped the lid and tied it to a Surge rod. He said not only could you lift the bucket off the floor, but the guy could "set the hook" snatch the bucket right off the floor into the air.

It's $20 more than Bigcats in most areas and it seems to be a regional sale around Missouri and Illinois at this time.

20. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    the advice on the Surge rods is sound. I have not yet caught a really large fish with mine, but it has easily handled fish in the 8-13 lb range. They are made in Columbia, Mo. so it wouldn't be too tough for you to get one. They run around $65-70. They come in M/H & H both casting and spinning, are 7' 10", have 11 eyes which are very solid & they have cork handles. I love it and can't wait to catch a monster with it!
    I have the heavy casting rod.