Trouble with Lowrance LCX-27 and 37

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by TNVOLCAT, Nov 10, 2007.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I talked to a local boat dealer yesterday about getting a new sonar w/GPS. We were discussing the Lowrance LCX-27 and 37 models. He said that people were having problems with these models and thought that Lowrance had it fixed now. I'm interested in one of these units but would like to hear some feedback from the BOC members that have had any issues with these models. Thanks, TNVOLCAT!

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The lcx27 in my opinion is flat junk. JUNK!!! My partner bought one last year and had to send it back twice. The sonar loses bottom continuously for some reason. You will be cruising along watching the bottom and then it locks up and you have to turn it off and then back on. Useless.

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Slimcat, that's the exact problem the dealer was telling me about. He said that Lowrance had a program to download into the unit that supposedly fixes it. Have you heard of any issues with the 37 or just the 27? I reckon from what I've read, the only difference in the two units is the screen size. The 27 has a 7" while the 37 has a 8.4"

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Yeah, well it don't fix it. My partners unit still does it. THe newer lowrances are not what the older units were. To much junk built overseas now. They also take way to long to get it back to you and there customer service reeks. It takes forever to talk to anybody over the phone. I can't speak for the lcx37 unit.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There's a new firmware update for most of the LCX line, released on Sept 20. Haven't tried it out yet to see if it makes any difference or not.

I do have trouble with losing the bottom frequently on my LCX-25C. Typically it's because I've been monkeying with the settings too much and eventually hit a combination that seems to confuse the computer. If you go to the Sonar Features menu and re-select one of the presets, it usually starts working fine again.

I'll download the update to my unit here in a few minutes but won't be able to tell if it makes any difference until probably next weekend...

I'd still rather have a Lowrance than a Hummingbird or (God forbid) a Garmin -- Garmin is so far behind the curve I wonder why they even bother producing a sonar unit. And except for the top-of-the-line side-imaging Hummingbird units, the rest are generally inferior to Lowrance.

Buy your Lowrance from someplace reputable like Cabelas - if you have a problem with it, they'll take it back and either refund or give you a new unit. You won't get that from bargain basement websites...

If you need to contact customer service, don't do it at 10am on Monday morning. Doesn't really matter which company you're dealing with -- call at the wrong time and you'll be on hold forever.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Good thing about a Garmin though, is when it shows fish, they are fish and not sticks or leaves. Lowrances should be called Liewrance.LOL

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Just an update --

I downloaded the new firmware for my LCX-25C from Lowrance and installed it last weekend. The bottom tracking is improved about a gazillion percent - it was even tracking fairly reliably while I was on plane at 30mph, and it *never* did that before. At no time during the day did it lose the bottom while I was drifting or anchored -- previously, it would go nutty every once in a while and spend a couple of minutes trying to find bottom again. Doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

If you own one of the LCX models, be sure to get the latest update from the Lowrance web site.