Trouble with hooks coming untied

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by retired stump jumper, Jun 24, 2006.

1. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I do not know if I am putting this in the right spot or not but was wondering if anybody else was having trouble with hooks comming untied I have never had this trouble before but all of a suden no matter what kind of a knot I tie it comes undone & I cannot figure out why. Anybody got any Ideas.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    What type of knots are you tying?

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Try the uni-knot snell and moisten it before ya lock it down.

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    What kind of line are you using?

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    When using mono, I always pull hard on the knot to strech the line alittle, This will keep the knot good and tight.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Super Glue Gel, that is what I use after tying the knot. Dont have to worry anymore.

7. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    sometimes i have problems with my snell coming undone, but its usually caused by not wrapping it enough times around the hook. but 5-6 wraps should do it for you. that or try the palamar knot. probably one of the strongest knots you can tie onto a hook. good luck

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I concur!

Problem solved.

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Wow, well super glue would definately fix that problem. Never thought of that.

But I agree with katfshn50, I moisten the knot with some good old spit before I tighten it.

SudDawg

10. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    Maybe I`m not setting my knots tight enough I mostly use a Palomar knot & 80lb. Ande line when fishing for flats & a 6/0 true turn hook. I have started using Cajun RED 14lb. test & a 2/0 TT hook for channels. I have always used spit on my line when setting a knot maybe I`m just getting old & weak. I`ll try setting my knot tighter & if that does`nt work I`ll use some super glue Thanks a lot fellows I never thought of using super glue.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear that some of the newer hooks have a coating on them that makes knots want to slip?

12. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    they pretty much killed this one!!!

13. retired stump jumper

State:
    KANSAS
    I tie a palomar & a trilene knot. I use the Palomar on a 6/0 True trun hook with 80 lb. test Ande line & a trilene knot on a 2/0 TT hook with 14 lb. test cajun line.

14. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Maybe the fish are getting smarter...:roll_eyes:

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bet you have changed lines.
    I started using p-line and have always ties the improved clinch but now have the same problem.

17. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, getting a good knot in 80lb test is defanately a bit harder to do...

Question about the super glue....
    Seems to me that super glue is strong enough to change the composition of the line itself.... don't it melt it a bit?

Also.... Doest super glue harden real hard? Could that cause it to break easier if you were to have a really big fish on?

How long do you wait when you apply super glue to a knot before you put it in the water?

18. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    retired stump jumper,

80-lb mono line is maybe a bit big in diameter to make it cinch tight easily on a 6/0 hook. You have to wet it (like you say, spit), pull it slow and keep pulling until you see it "melt" together. Not really melt, but the knot area looks like it blends. It's hard to get a grip on a hook or swivel to pull this tight. I keep a pair of large line clippers with the lanyard hole in the end, run the hook thru the hole and use the clippers to pull on the hook. You could use a small hardwood dowel for this as well, just watch so you don't set the hook into your knuckles!

You might also try tying an overhand knot as a stopper for your palomar, so if it slips the stopper catches.

One last thing. Check your hooks out under a magnifying glass. You might have a batch with some forming problem in the eye. If there's a flat spot in the wire, or scratches, or rough plating, you'll have problems. If so, you might take 'em back where you bought 'em for something different.

Dennis

19. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    try the palamar knot