Trouble with circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by FlatheadMan, Jul 16, 2006.

1. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Anyone have any trouble with circle hooks pulling loose, I lost about 5 fish last night I could feel the hooks come free after about 30sec Im letting the pole loadup and dont think Im doing anything different hooked about 30 fish in the past few weeks and got most of them just wondering Im using the 12/0 king kat circle but even that big they dont seem to have a real big gap.Thanks

2. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have not, i use a 7/0 eagle claw circle sea, let my drag off set my clicker and let him run with it a lil then just tighten drag up, and hold on...

3. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    no, sorry, i usually use kahle hooks

4. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would recommend a 7, 8, or 9/0 circle instead of 12/0, then see what happens. JMO the cats might not be fully "on" after the load-up of your rod. My thinking is that a slightly smaller circle has a better chance of getting ALL of those 30 fish instead of MOST of them. Hope this helps. Good luck!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

try a smaller circle hook. 12 is a big hook. About the biggest I use is a 8/0 and that for real big fish. My everyday hooks are a 3/0-7/0 offset, circle and tru-turn depending on how the fish are acting and the size I am catching

6. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Thanks for the info all

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    maybe small fish??

i use a 7/0 eagle claw circle and never lost a fish.... i use live gills and cut gills... hope i never loose a fish...

i know its a AWEFUL feeling like a big ole pit in ur stomach

Jeff

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those hooks you are using are to big and thick in my opnion..Youmight try gamgatsu octopus circles in 8/0/

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Miller;
    Mike, I don't know if it will help you out but you might try putting a bit of twist/angle on your large hooks so that it will tend to penetrate easier.
    Other than that, if I am reading your post correctly and you have had good success with what your using, then it might be that you was just having one of those "OFF Nights" that happen to us all.
    If something is working for you I would not necessarily quit using it just because I had one bad night.
    However, much more than that and I would think it would be time to look yourself, your technique, ect, over and see if your doing something different, that you did not do before, that is causing you to miss.
    If all else fails, then I agree with the other Brothers in that it's time to change the hook.
    One thing though!! When/If you go changing things, I would suggest changing only one thing at a time and trying it a couple of times before changing to something else, if need be. Otherwise, I don't think you would be able to really tell which change you made that caused everything to start working again.
    I do know that I have had good luck with both the Kahle 7/0 to 10/0 and the 8/0 to 16/0 Circle hooks. But all of mine have, I think it's called, an offset hook and that might be the difference. I don't know for sure.
    I think that no matter what part of the country your in that there are certain basics that will most always be true, and then there are the regional/local "Tricks of the Trade" that work in only certain areas. But then, that is just my personal opinion.
    Listen to all your posts, take the information and analyze it, see what the majority is telling you and that might be a good place to start if you need to start changing things. :smile2:
    Let us know how it turns out for ya.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. 1-flathunter

1-flathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Try smaller hooks.Unless you are using a 5lb. carp for bait those are to big.​

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You could not use any live bait on those hooks at all. They sounds huge but the gap on a 12/0 King Kat Circle is prob very close the the size of an 8/0 Gama Oct Circle, but I agree w/ Flathunter for most applications they are too thick to use for hook & line fishing at least here in Ohio. I gave some to a buddy of mine for jugging, I think they would work well for that.

FlatheadMan,

If you would like to try Khales or Gama Circles, let me know & I can drop you a few of each in the mail.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a slow hard lift of the rod might sink it in there and of course mellon and flat are right a finer wire hook doesent take as mutch force to set. but I would dissagree about using live bait if hooked through the eyes or up the lips through the nose they work:wink:

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I'm in the same boat as you brother but I'm using a smaller hook a 7/0 Lazer Sharp circle sea. I lost a nice fish the other night because of those stupid circle hooks. My hook up ratio is 3 to 10. The Lazer Sharp circle sea isn't very sharp in my opinion either. After fishing with BAITFISH and seeing his hookup rate with 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks I'm ready for change so I just bought a 24 pack of of em for $6.50 including shipping on Ebay.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 4-8 circles and I love Gamakatsu hooks. I have used Eagle Claws and they will probably stay in my tackle box til H E double hockey sticks freezes over. That said, I would look to size, sharpness and scales, not neccessarily in that order. By scales I mean I scale my bait because a scale on a barb stops penetration and I mean now.

Good Luck.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    This is what I use and agree the ones you have are too thick and will be harder to penetrate.

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Check the point.......I get a lot that are reallllllllllllyyyy dullllll..I mean dullll:crazy: You would think for the price they would at least stick in butter!

17. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    One things for sure....if there is any slack in your line when the fish picks it up...it wont be that great of a hook set. I have pulled in quite a few that were hooked by a little peice of skin. I was fishin in the wind using a bobber...and i couldnt keep the slack tight on two poles. So...in my opinion...the line has to be tight!!! Just my 2 cents.

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I find the gap on the Gamakatsu circle hooks to be wider than most others and an all around better circle hook.

19. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Check the library for circle hook info.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Used Those Hooks With Very Little Success, Try Lazer Sharp 8/0 Octopus Circles And I Think You'll Get Alot Better Hook Up Ratio.