Trouble with big game fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by flathunter, Aug 6, 2007.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys I have been fishing biggame line for many years and nver had a break off,,,I have had six break offs my last 2 trips..Differnt spools of line and differnet reels, breakoffs with the cast and just reeling in.. this has come on 2 differnt rods and reels that are new so I know it's not the equipment, I am using 30-lb test..I think it's time for a change.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Well thats great... i just spooled one of my rods with 30 pound Big Game 2 days ago... coulda let me kno a little soonen dont ya think! lol joke but in all seriousness, the rod i just spooled up has been used 2 times in the past 2 days and i like it. my other rod has 40 pound big cat on it and its been some of the best stuff ive ever used. might want to try that if you want a change. but im thinkin that its the same stuff the more i use it. if they were the same dia. then you wouldnt be able to tell differance.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't like Big Game but never had any problems with it's strength or it breaking when it shouldn't.Something is abusing your line.
    Jake

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    You might want to check your rods line guides, may have a crack or rough spot on one...

5. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have been using Yo-Zuri line for some time now. 40# test. It cast's great and isnt to expensive. I used to be a fan of big game, but i got a good deal on a big spool of the Yo-Zuri from BPS for cheap. The biggest thing ive noticed about the line is the resistance to freying. Do you use beads between swivel and weight? Keeps weights from hitting knots and weakening them up.. Hope something in here helps you.

good luck

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I haven't had any problem with Big Game at all. except trying to break it off when I get hung .

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I checked the guides they are all in perfect condition and brand new, so are the reels..I have been fishing bigame for 20 years and never had a break off.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    UV rays could be a problem.
    I use big game almost exclusively and have never had a problem.
    I change my line about 3rd trip.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark I realize sun can damge your line..But it was brand new line off of 2 differnt spools..Oh well, I will try it agin.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats odd Jack. Are you sure the Mellon curse hasn't been put on your equipment or has he been putting nicks in your line??? :smile2:

I've been using the same spool of 30# big game for over a year and no problems at all. I still have a hard time breaking it off when i'm snagged.
    Let us know if you figure it out.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I stopped using Big Game last year and won't go back.

I had multiple spools, from multiple sources, where the line would break while tying a dropper loop knot. We're talking 30 lb line breaking with whatever measly force I could muster when cinching the knot. Didn't matter whether I lubricated the knot with spit prior to pulling on it or not. It ruined my confidence in the line, even though others here report good results from it.

I switched to Ande Premium monofilament in 30 lb and have never looked back. Bought a 2 lb spool from Bass Pro for a good price and won't need another one for several more months.

12. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Maybe it is just a bad spool of line??

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Have you spilled anything on the spool/line that you may be unaware of possibly while leaving it in the trunk? Any cleaner or other solvent that may be weaking the line.

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I had trouble with Big Game line. It was good for about 1 month then the 30lb line would start breaking like 4lb. Now the only two lines I will use are Cajun Red and Sufix Seige. If I'm not using my gear it is in my jeep 365 day a year, I just respooled some of my reels last week. The Sufix Seige line that was on them was over a year old and still going strong, was just getting so low on the spool that I didn't have much left after a cast. Same thing with the Cajun Red it stays good and strong, I use it till it gets too low on the spool.

15. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    2 rods spooled at same time but different spools line.did you have both in a hot vehicle exposed to sun and heat.2 rods together is you common denominator.just a thought

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    OFFSHORE ANGLER TIGHTLINE.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Something is bad wrong if you are breaking 30 lb Big Game. I'm still using 15 and 20 and can hardly break either one when I get snagged and have to break off.

Fishing line can go bad, maybe your spool is just too old or was stored wrong: sunlight and ozone are monofilament's worst enemies. Don't store line in hot or sunny areas and keep it away from electrical equipment (which generate trace amounts of ozone). I keep all of my line spools in sealed bags in a dark closet.

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was having a problem with break offs when I first switched to it.. Mainly on hook set, but a few times reeling in.. Id set the hook, feel the fish for a sec and then nothing.. After asking here, I got some advice to look at my knot/beads.... After looking, I realized my beads were not big enough for the 30 pound line.. Was actually pinching the knot at the swivel. Bought bigger holed beads, been good to go since... Maybe something to look at....

19. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had a problem with 20 pound big game this summer first time ever.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You could have just hit something in the water after a few casts that nicked up the line a little and then when you went to sling it it broke the line. I however haven't used any Berkley product since I was in elementary school. I remember breaking off on 6lb test and then going out the same pond later that week spooled with 2lb Stren and pulling the same stick out of the mud and bringing it in. In my opinion Berkley line really stinks although some of their other products are very, very good products. I would use 30# Ande, you'll never have a problem with it I promise(or at least I never have:smile2:)