Trouble Shooting

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Jbuck, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:08 PM.

1. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    98 Jeep, TJ, 4.0, Automatic. >25 degrees F, starts right up runs like it's got 30,000 on the odometer instead of the 198,000 it actually does. 25 to 15 degrees starts but misses and have to feather the accelerator to keep it running for a few minutes then fine. <15 degrees starts, misses, dies, pops through the exhaust like out of time (guessing unburnt fuel hitting hot exhaust), dies, just can't keep running, will restart but just a repeat. I suspect a sensor is not doing it's job but which one would be most likely the issue?

2. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I would say change the plugs and maybe a new battery would help but idk

3. prlwng

prlwng Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    If you can, stop at bout any auto parts store and have them plug into the data port. If it is just an easy to get at censor they may have one and show you where it is at.

They would have accss to what the codes would mean if any.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I had the same thing happen to my jeep...If I remember right it was the cam shaft sensor.

5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Yeah, I did the Auto Zone thing, the only code it showed was a misfire during start up. Hate to just start throwing parts at it but it's a bummer not being able to drive it on days like today.

6. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    how about water or ice in the gas ? Or a dirty fuel filter?