trouble loading new update to sd card?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by biga, Jan 17, 2010.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i am trying to load the update to my sd card but have never done this before .. it doesnt have a menu option to save it to the card when you download .. after i download it to my computer how do i put it on the sd card to load in my 997? thanks for any help because i almost took a hammer to my computer and my 997 last night!!!

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I am not sure if this will help but this is the way I do my lowrances.First I insert the card and go to my computer and pick the drive in my case F.I then format the disc and leave it in the computer.Then I click on the file and and it asks save or open , I click open then right click on the file and under the list of options I click on extract and pick drive F.I hope this helps

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Do you have an SD card reader on your computer? If so, insert the SD card in before you download, and save the download to the SD card, once downloaded, all you have to do is put it in your 997, and turn the power on. It will walk you through the rest.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    All you have to do is copy the file from your computer and paste it onto the sd card. Be sure there are no earlier versions of the software on the card, though, or it will try to load them when you restart your unit. Be sure also to reset the sonar to factory default settings before you install the software. I put it on my 797 this morning without a hitch. Looks great, but I'll have to wait for the winds to calm down before testing it on the water.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Should be found in"my computer"

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That's the correct answer. Load it straight to the sd card. You do have an SD card reader on the computer right? Not trying to be stupid, just asking. Might have to format it first just like restoreancientiron stated.

Turn your 997 on and restore defaults then turn it off. Insert your sd card in the slot and power up the 997, it will recognize the update and ask if you want to install it. DO NOT do anything until the update is complete!!!! Don't try to do it in your house from a power pack either or you are asking for trouble if it doesn't last long enough. An incomplete update can brick your unit and you'll have to send it back to Humminbird in some cases.

I have never had a problem so far. I might do my 1197 today and go play with it on the water tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    my problem is that it doesnt give me the option of were to download the file to.. i never had this problem before with my old computer running xp.. i am thinking it has something to do with the way the windows 7 works .. i dont have a problem installing the software on my fishfinder just copying it to the sd card..

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    We have a small netbook running Windows 7. I have never used it but I'll have a look and see what it does.

9. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im not a big fan of Windows 7, I know it's suppost to be the next best thing since sliced bread, but it has some quirks. I won't go into it on this post anymore.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I was able to do it 2 ways.

After you select "begin download" on HB's site, a window pops up showing the file name and it wants to save it to DOWNLOADS. Do NOT hit save yet! On the left side of your screen scroll down to the drive that is the SD CARD and click it. Now hit the save button and your file will load right to the SD CARD. The other way I got there was to right click on the file name on HB's site, then click SAVE TARGET AS, but you still have to select the SD CARD (drive D: in my case) before you save it.

Worked for me on Windows 7.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great info guys! I'm going to try to get the new software downloaded on my 997 this week.