Trouble hooking catfish with circle hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JKWMD, Jul 31, 2007.

1. JKWMD

JKWMD New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello to all; this is my first post.

I've been having trouble lately keeping cats on my line after a run. I'm using 5-0, or 6-0 Gamakatsu octupus circles, and cut bait, (blue gills, and sucker chubs). I'm letting them run until I'm certain they have the bait, (5 seconds or so), then lock the bail. When the line is close to being tight, I raise the pole, and begin to reel in. The cats are on the line, but seem to come off after a few seconds. I've read you're supposed to wait till the pole "loads up", but I'm afraid the resistance created by loading the pole will cause them to drop the bait, so I'm reeling in just as the line goes tight. Am I using faulty technique?, or are the cats just running with the bait and not the hook, and when I'm reeling in they just let go.

I'm also having trouble the same way just described when I'm using live gills. I get a big hit, and then a run, but cannot get them hooked. I'm wondering if they are small flatties that are just holding the fish, and not the hook. I'm hooking the gills through the back, under the dorsal fin, and after I've failed to hook them, the gill comes back in alive. Sorry this post is so long, but I'm getting frustrated. Please help!

2. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    Let the pole load up..reeling in pull the bait of a fish mouth when useing circle hooks...let the pole do all the work at setting the hook.Sound like a you got a flathead working on your bluegill..they the way they bite...pick it up and run a short way killing the bait fish and then after a while they will come back and pick up the bait again and then make a long run wirh it.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Let the fish load the rod. That is the ONLY way a circle hook will work. It's hard but I tell myself, don't lift,don't jerk wait,wait,wait just reel.

Cheez

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't set my rods in free spool when using circles. I back my drag off some so a decent fish can run the clicker, but you need some kind of resistance there to set the hook. You're using good, sharp hooks. By the time they feel the resistance from the rod, they should be hooked and it won't matter if they try to drop the bait. If you're getting runs with live bait and no hookups, it could be small flats as someone suggested earlier or it could be gar. I don't pick up the rod until about the third bounce or until it's been down for a second or two and I know they're on. Good Luck!

Branden

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    John welcome to the BOC, u dont set the hook, u just start reeling in and the fish should hook himself.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I never.....ever freespool My reel when using circle hooks. I tightline with My drag set as I normally would and set the clicker. when a big fish hits and doubles over the rod and starts taking drag its over He's hooked! The clicker helps if you are not paying close attention or have dosed off.

now with the smaller fish that just bounce, bounce, bounce the rod and don't hold it down and take drag, I leave the rod in the holder and reel down on him as fast as I can. continue to reel untill the rod tip stops moving down and You have the rod loaded up as much as possible. then remove the rod from the holder and fight the fish.

Using these methods I have a hook up rate of about 95%

7. JKWMD

JKWMD New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the good advice; I'll adjust my technique, and let you know how it goes.