Trouble fishing the Mississippi/Missouri river...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Catfisher99, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Catfisher99

Catfisher99 New Member

State:
    MO
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Me, my dad and my brother tried fishing up in Alton, before the missouri and mississipi river meets I believe, we have tried 2 or 3 times, but no luck. We bought frozen skipjack let it thaw and on the second day we let the first thawed skip sit in fridge for a week, tried using the new and old skip, nothing hit. Granted it was a slow day, both times there were 2-3 catfish caught, mainly 10lb or less, and a few turtles along with a few large 30-50lb carp. The guy told us he was using "green worms" so we dug about 30 of them up, unfortunitly we didnt have any time to use them on the first attempt early morning, we came back up that night from about 8pm-midnight used the green worms and skipjack, no luck, however only 2 or 3 others were also there and all left by midnight and told us we also should due to breakin's to cars lately, this was at columbia bottoms on the "beach" there. So zero for 3 so far. We went to the baitshop off of highway 367(i think that is what its called), ran by a dad and son and is fairly new within the last month or so. He told us it was a good place to go for a more family area, however as of now, truely I wouldnt care if I had to walk through a few hundred feet of woods to catch one fish. We also lost alot of weights which was another problem, and didnt exactly get how he tied the hook and the dual line leader, and we lost 2 lines so we had to retie them as best we could. The other issue with the dual lines leader(was like 2 lines tied multiple times together then tied to the hook) was that is kept tangling itself and wrapping around the weight, I dont know if this that was a problem or not, but I didnt see it as a good thing. So, basically we just want to catch something since my 12 yr old brother doesn't exactly like sitting for 5-6 hours and not catching anything...

So, 1) Does anyone here know of any place within 60minutes or miles from stlouis(distance from stl->alton but anywhere else works also) that is okay to fish early or late(such as past midnight) where there are other people and crime isnt huge.
    2)Does anyone have any bait ideas? Green worms, gumbo worms and skip all didnt work, always for trying it again though if anyone thinks its promising, but if there is something better please say
    3)Any ideas/videos/pictures on how to tie the hook and make a leader for the fishing?
    4)If we run out of weights is it worth bringing anything heavy, someone suggested bags of screws or marbles...
    5)How heavy should the weight line be, 5lb?10lb?20lb? we will most likely be fishing the Missouri or Mississippi so its pretty quick and heard it is good to use light line so you can snap it and keep the hook.

Well, I Think that is all, places we've been recommended were Columbia bottoms and Lewis and Clark park, which i think is right across from Columbia bottoms. Thanks for any replies or help, I have only 2 DAYS till school starts and want to get another day of fishing in, fishing not casting lol.

Thanks.

Here is an image to where we were.
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    you shouldnt let the skips sit for so long after thawing without using them. thaw them before you go and cut them right there on shore. dont let them sit in the fridge for a week.

for alternative wieghts i use rail road spikes. they hold it down pretty well fishing off wing dykes.

as far as rigs go i use a 3-way rig , with a break a way line holding my wieght on. almost always get hook and 3 way back.

oh yeah! find wing dykes you can access, wing dykes are your friends. pitch your bait into the current seam that forms off the tip, and make sure you let it take it out for a minute. big blues like to hang in the currnet breaks around the tips of the dyke.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009

3. Catfisher99

Catfisher99 New Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, we did that to the new ones we bought, we had an extra pole so we tried casting out the older bait, it was kept at 33F if that matters. Well, where do I find rail road spikes lol? Googling wing dykes was no help, what exactly is a wing dyke and how can I notice it, only been river fishing five or so times.

Thanks

4. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    wing dikes are an excellent way to drown or destroy a lower unit if you aren't careful. Wing dikes are "walls" of loose rock that protrude from the shore toward the main channel, usually at about a 30 degree angle from the shore line. On the Mississippi, their use predates the civil war - the swirling they cause helps keep main channels from silting in. Not many know this, but "the" Jefferson Davis was a hydrological engineer who was responsible for positioning and constructing many of the first wing dikes on the Mississippi - back then, the wing dikes were even more important because there wasn't a lock and dam system or systematic dredging and the river channel was much wider and shallower.

In high water, they may be 8 or more feet below the surface, at low water, they can be exposed, or what is most dangerous, just a few inches below the surface.

If you know where a wing dike is, you can "see" the disturbance to the current. If you DON'T know that a wing dike is present, you are unlikely to spot the surface disturbance, and it is very easy to get stuck on one that isn't very submerged.

There are lots of sources for maps of your river in your specific area, and they will show the approximate location (Navonics Fishing Maps also show their location, and I've found them to be accurate within just a meter or two). It is common for main channel markers to be placed just past the tip of wing dikes.

5. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    you guys were on the beach that place is dead as a door nail right now.
    Wait about 4 more weeks that spot will be hott! all the blues will be movein back down to the miss"...

With skipjack go to the confluence area not the beach.

You came into our shop... thats a damn good spot its just dead right now due to the fish are in the holes...

PM me for info for the ADM garinry down on hall street.I will be out all day tomarrow.

For lewis and clark area ....

270 to route 3 north youl see the place on the left.

Go over the levi and then it turns into the parking lot .... park walk down to were the canal and the river meet and make sure your poles are held in very good.

Come back by the bait shop ask for me (Rob).. Ill cut some skipjack up for ya and show ya what to do.Skipjack in the fridge for 1 week is to long...

Unthaw ... put in a container and on ice ALWAYS.keep it no more then 2 days on ice.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  6. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I went Wed. to Columbia Bottoms.What few fish I caught were on Asian carp.Use em like any other cut bait.Man,are they tough.Once on the hook,you don't need to worry about stolen bait.Try em,if you get a chance.

7. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    i just wanna say it never hurts to take worms with you to the bank... Worms will catch more fish hands down but ..... on the odds they wont catch BIG fish... green worms are great bait along with gumbo's

set a good table dont just put 1 or 2 on when i fish with green worms or gumbos i put at the minimal 5 with a 8/0 hook.

I always take a lighter rod with worms and a big cat rod with me .... people do get lucky and land nice cats on worms but the big cats are lookin for Skipjack,Herring,BigHead ect...

8. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    assuming they aren't nightcrawlers that have been drinking Irish beer:wink:, just what are "green worms" and where do you find them?

9. Catfisher99

Catfisher99 New Member

State:
    MO
    Assuming what rolling unknown is talking about and I am talking about are the same, out in the woods along the river theres pre-dug spots and about a foot or two down we found green worms, youl notice them when you see them, they also feel alot thicker than a reg worm.

I guess I need 10 posts to send PM, do you have an email by any chance? looks slim that we will head out tonight, might just head out next week.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  10. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    good one.:smile2: wonered that myself.

11. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    could another name for the green worm be sand worms? i have heard of them. uesd em even. so in a silt flat along a creek channel would that be a good spot for green worms? me and a friend took several sticks and put them in the silt and started beatn the sticks. sand worms started cmon out every were.

12. Catfisher99

Catfisher99 New Member

State:
    MO
    were heading out tomarrow around 5AM, bank fishing, any recommended bait or areas? so far were 0/3 on the river and hopping tomarrow is the day to catch at least 1. Bait recommendations, locations would be cool, also if you are able to can you put the adress/directions/a map since most of the areas that are recommended are north/south of here(stl) and dont know much of the areas. thanks

13. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As far a tying knots goes, my favorite simple rig is to tie your main weight whether 1 or 8 oz with a polomar know at the bottom of the line, and about 8-12 inches above the weight tie your hook again with a polomar knot. Easiest knot to tie, and very strong, This also gets your bait off the bottom a bit as well. I've seen two really good catfishermen that swear by this method. It won't necesarily keep you from losing weights or rigs but it is much simpler and you will land the fish at the same rate as the complicated rigs that require 3 seperate knots and a swivel. No swivel with this. Good luck, hope your luck changes.