Trouble catching bait in Indiana - Hey Fellas. I need some HELP!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by river_rat_42, Mar 8, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This will be my third year seriously catfishin' and I am extremely pumped for it. There's just one big problem, me and my fishin' buddy have had big trouble while TRYING:sad2: to catch shad and skipjack. We rarely get more than three or four shad in our cast-net in a whole day, and thats if we get any. And skipjack, I think we've only caught one in the past two years and that was just luck.
    So, all that for this, I see that some of you guys are from Madison IN. which is pretty close to where I fish in Charelstown IN. and I was wondering how you guys (or anybody who can help) catch your bait. Also, what is your favorite bait to use while fishin' the river. Any help on how to catch skipies and shad would be GREAT!!! THANKS

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    not for sure about bait up that way but here we can get a net full every time out there are some guys from up that way that can put you on some good bait skips are hard to find on the ohio river i go all the way down to cumberland city to get mine

3. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My buddy and I have been fishin' the Ohio River hard for two going on three years now, and our huge problem has been catching bait. I fish from the docks that you see behind me in my ID picture, but, I do have occasional access to a boat and I live 25 minutes from a dam where I can get to from the shore when I don't have a boat. So knowing these things about my situation could anyone please tell me how to catch skipjack and shad. Oh yeah, I have a cast net for catching shad, and a rod and reel that I can use for catching skipjack; just tell me what kind of baits will catch them, when, how, where, and any other advice on catching some baitfish for the river would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS FELLAS!!!

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Craig, I'm sure some local guys can help you out but Indiana is good Flathead country and I like to use bluegill for them. A small flathead will take a small live gill. As for shad and skipjack I am with you, I have a hard time catching them however at my local marina just before they open I can sometimes catch shad with a small trout hook tiped with a tiny piece of bologna. when they are there I catch almost an equal amount of gills and shad. it's not so many but will get me through a morning on the water.

Good Luck
    Danny

5. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    around my way i found a local guy that catches his own and sells them out of his house and hes cheap and i wont use no one else but ask around im sure there is someone like this around the waters you fish

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    skip jack will hit white grubs or jigs 1" they also like sabiki rigs youl need to put a weight on the bottom or the rig i usually use a 1oz tear drop and reel it in a various speeds till i find what speed that like , iv also heard you can use small shad cut and whole to catch skipjack . as far as shad iv only got them 2 ways one is to snag them and the other is by using a cast net near docks and marinas or creek mouths , be carefull of snags though they can ruin even the best day , iv also got blue gill from farm ponds with the cast net

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont know how it is there but at beard lake on the little river by ashdown arkansas you can catch lots of shad ,small pearch,and small white bass on the boat ramps after dark.just dont throw out so far that you hang up your cast net on the deep end of the ramp.could be worth a try.

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Thanks Johnnie, thats what I was gonna tell him. always after dark, for sev hrs, u can get shad, even small bass, perch, all kinds of small fingerlings size fish. Like Johnnie said, be careful not to get hung up. also by th boat dock. at least those areas is where I get mine when i want alot. or if u can get to th lake like a couple hrs before sun up, thats also a good time. hope this helps

9. bigcatkev

bigcatkev Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey river rat anytime you need help just give me a shout and i would be more than glad to meet you in madison and show you and your buddy how to catch shad and skipjack. The shad are pretty easy but the skipjack can be hard to find right now but i will at least show you how to get them when they are around.

10. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks fellas, Hey Kevin I might pm you about the offer, b/c I could use some help.