Trouble at my fishing hole today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Jun 4, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not good at writing long storys but here goes...Not long after I arrived at my fishing spot today, a group of 11 Chinese people came over to where I was throwing my castnet..They were all dressed well, drove nice cars, and had cell phones so they were not poor by any means...I was throwing my castnet and catching lots of shad for bait, and this put them in a frenzy! They jumped into the water and were trying to get the shad out of my net before I brought it to shore...Shad were everywhere so my net was full, and they were grabbing them off the ground faster than I could pick them up, two of them were eating the shad raw, it was eveident they wanted them for food..I took all I wanted and they moved away, soon after I caught a channel cat and here they came agin..I landed the channel cat and as I was taking it off the hook they were trying to grab it like hungry dogs, remember these were not poor people..Thats when I lost it!!!!!! I threw my pole down and gave one of them a shove and he landed in the water..I tossed the channel cat back in the river and 4 of them Jumped in after it, agin I lost it..I picked up my 5 gallon bucket which was full of shad and gave it a sling which bounced off several of them, they got the idea I was mad then..I was cussing and screaming at them at the top of my lungs, I wont repeat what I said but they scattered all over the place, I am glad I did not have my handgun with me today, cause it might have came out..A guy who was fishing dwonstream had a cell phone and called the police, I was fishing a public spot in town..5 minutes latter the cops showed up, and they were talking to the chinese which by then had joined back up a few hundred yards away..So the cop walks up to me with one of the chinese who spoke english..I told the officer what happened and to get the S.O.B AWAY FROM ME.The chinese guy asked why I would let fish go, fish food he said..So I picked up my camera and told him, catch, photo, release He gave me a dumb look and walked away...END OF STORY.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    wow.........

thats somethin aint it.....

im speachless...

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I could tell you some stories. I have some friends from Laos and Tialand. They eat anything and everything that comes out of the water.

4. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    Wow, i was thinking this was a joke but i guess not.
    Ummm..... i have nothing to say, really i don't...

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
  6. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I had to read that twice. Weird, I guess that sums it up. Wish you would have taken pictures, cause that'd be something to see

7. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's really odd.

I know a few people from overseas -> korean, vietnamese, south american.

They do each pretty much anything from the water - and it being raw is often not a big deal. But one thing they've always shown is the utmost respect for other people. So that's pretty strange in that respect.

If it was my buddy from korea - he'd have offered you a few bucks for the fish and taken it home for his mom to make for dinner.

Buddy of mine from El Salvador brought me some soup once - I forget the actual named but it translated to "Sea Soup". Basically they net a bunch of stuf and make soup out of it - dont matter what it is. I consider myself a sea-food eater and I didn't recognize half of that stuff.

Personally I think I would have given the cat to them if I wasn't going to eat it - just to see what they would do with it :p

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm sort of glad I wasnt there. I would have lost it, I can't keep a level head like you usually can.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those were your shad. Dang man, I would have lost it. Prob another reason NOT to go by yourself though. If they would have ganged up on you, you would have been hyrtin'.

Dude that spot is magnet for trouble. The one time there was an excaped murder that was hiding out right there.

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

That's just nuts! I don't get it... I mean, they saw you hauling in shad like nothing, so obviously it wasn't like there was a shortage or something! If they were well dressed they were obviously not starving... I can't understand how they could have the gall to rush your net, much less try to take that cat from you under these circumstances! I'd have blown a fuse myself in a BIG way! That cop would likely have been taking me in for assualt!

For crying out loud, what did the cops say at the end of the situation anyhow?? Did you get a copy of the report?? Were any charges filed in either direction? There's got to be more to this story, at least the ending.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DUDE!.......let me take a hit of whatever it is your smokin', that stuff must be the funk! you have to be kidding!!??

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    yeah im waiting for the punch line:smile2:

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    man if i had been there id have seen what you saw maybe at first id had been concerned but when i saw they were that hungry id have fished till they were full waste not want not sorry if this bothers some of you but the way i figure God put the fish there to eat if these poor soles were that hungry i would have helped them out hay after all iv killed more bait than il ever use as far as that goes id have baited every pole and thrown all the fish i caught on the bank or asked them if they wanted it ,ive been all around the country ive seen alot i once saw a guy and his wife picking up road kill opposum ,coon,rabbit,squirels it was for food ,Vlparrish is my brother he knows a korean guy that loves to eat fish he will drive 4 hrs to catch them i dont think vern would let anyone starve either as for you geting mad i dont know maybe you shouldnt have did they offer to harm you ? but i was raised to help my fellow man if you came knocking on my door id let you camp in my yard or the shed and i sure as hell would offer you food my parents always said jesus walks among us asking for help and what would i do when he knocks at my door turn him away i think not you can measure a mans worth by how he treats others , yeah i sponser cpr too but theres always the chance that those fish i catch are needed to feed some poor family and if their near by i always ask unless i want it , not every one can catch fish like i do heck i go every 2 days

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A friend of mine from Laos that I helped settle here got permission to fish a farm pond, when he first got here, that belonged to a guy we worked with. Anyway, Sengcow showed up with a couple other guys and pulled out a net that was about 150 feet long, stripped down to their birthday suits and wrapped it half way around the pond. In a matter of minutes they took almost every fish out of the guys pond. Man was that guy Pi$$ed! When I found out what happened and tried to tell him that it was illegal, all they would say is, Be OK, Be OK, Fish Number One, Be OK!

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

ka_c4_boom: I understand your point and agree in concept, but these guys didn't "knock on his door" they walked right through it and started picking up his couch to take home with them, so to speak. I'm sure he'd have been happy to give them what ever he caught and wasn't going to use himself, but the idea that they literally MOBBED him and tried to TAKE it from him without asking was the issue.

In my experience, the asian population in N. America who go out fishing have no understanding or respect for the cycle of life. They'd clean out an entire lake down to the last minnow without thinking about leaving any to breed and provide a sustainable crop for the future. The following year they'd be sitting there wondering where the next nearest lake was to go clean it out too!

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not saying ALL asian fisherman are this way, but there is an undenyable trend in most places, and I'm sure you've all heard other fisherment complain about it, or even complained about it yourself.

16. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sounds like everybody was 'Kung Fu Fighting'

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Jack you are by far a better man then me, punches would of been thrown if I was there.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It had nothing to do with money. What they saw was fresh food. That's what it was all about, fresh food.

19. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yeah but what about respect, at least ask someone don't just take what you want when you want it. One of them spoke english, cause when the cops came the one that spoke english talk to them. There's no excuse, just taking what they want!

20. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Wrong or not I would have lost my cool.If a man ask me to feed him I will,but don't try and take from me.Jack,I'm just glad your OK.