Trouble At Carlyle

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mikey823, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is it me or what, I was at Carlyle on Saturday, I got there about 4:00 pm and fished for about 7 hours drifting and jugging and didn`t get a nibble. What am I doing wrong? I have been there 4 or 5 times this year and this was my worst trip ever. I used shrimp, chicken liver, cut gills and the old stand by night crawlers to no avail.
    When I got there I only saw 1 vehicle in the parking lot at Allen Branch , maybe someone knew something I didn`t . I tried several places from the silos to Hazlett.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mike, I've been there several times in the past few years for BOC gatherings, but never have done too good myself. But we have several members that fish Carlyle and someone will be along to help you out soon. Hope your luck changes, mine has been about the same as yours lately here on the Cumberland. Just not holding our mouth right I guess. LOL

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Last year I sucked there. This year I sucked there. I'll leave it at that and go back to Baldwin. :smile2:

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I live 12 miles south of carlyle . 9 times out of 10 it sucks for me . Only thing I can seem to catch is strippers and crappies . The spillway is a whole nother story , it really sucks . I can honestly say I wont be going back no time soon .

5. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    I fished 3 days last week and got 1 fish in 3 days on that lake.:angry:

BIGCAT GarryEads

6. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went out there to the spill way what a JOKE! omg... Ive never seen so many gar..... I put the boat in and talk about a over fished place geez the banks are coverd with crazy fisherman crossing each others lines screaming ect i will never go back NEVER. 8hrs ... all gars .:cool2:

7. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I checked Henkles and mamas fishing reports lastnight and they say the bite is on. I'm glad I'm a member of the BOC. I won't be going over there this weekend like i had planned.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    of course they say the bite is on.. dont they own a bait shop there?
    :wink:

9. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    You get the point! To many times I've believed in those reports only to find the complete opposite when I get there and talk to other fisherman. I have caught a bunch of fish over there though.

10. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Q. Did you try Shad from the lake?
    Q. How fast were you drifting?
    Q. How were you rigged? (rods, hooks, etc...)
    Q. What was the water temp & was the water kinda muddy or really muddy?

I really can't say I had one bad fishing trip over there this year theres just too many channels in that lake not to????

11. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    The water was 63 degrees, according to the GPS I was drifting between .4 and .8 mph, I didn`t have much luck getting shad I figured the cooler water run them deeper.
    I was rigged carolina style on one run and a 3 way swivel rig on the other, I tried everything I had in my book.

It seemed to me the fishing has went down hill about the last 3 years. About 3 or 4 years ago I would catch a dozen or so fish each trip, last year I was lucky to catch 3 or 4 fish a trip and this year it is down to zero fish a trip.
    I don`t fish the lake as much as a lot of you guys do, I make about 5 or 6 trips a year, if I lived closer I would fish it more but working 6 days a week I guess I am lucky to be able to fish it as much as I do.

12. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    how much weight do you use and what action rods? I really feel that fresh shad is a must at Carlyle. I try to stay around the old river channel as much as possible but i do not have a lot of time on the water at this time of the year.

13. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a 1 oz. weight most of the time, maybe heavier or lighter depending on the wind and drift spend and I use 7 foot medium/ heavy rods with Tidewater heavy baitcasting reels with 20 pound mono.

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I was there about two months ago and the water was so green I'm surprised the fish can survive. I presume it is alge stain, I don't know what else it could be, never seen anything like it before in a large body of water. I grew up along the lake, (watched it being built as a teenager) and caught a lot of fish there, but the last several years have been slow to say the least.