trouble anchoring

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by johndeere nut, Aug 31, 2009.

1. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    I am having a world of trouble keeping my boat anchored in one spot wiyhout swinging around i do better when there is current and have my drift buckets out. i have an anchor thats supposed to dig in but dosent seem to do well i have it attached with a chain also. do i need an anchor in the front and back when there is no current and what are the best types of anchors to use to keep my boat firmly planted.this gets me frustrated as i cant keep my lines still.any help is greatly appreciated

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    What size is the boat, anchor and how deep is the water you are fishing ???? How much rope are you using?? All things to be considered.. Yes you need an anchor on front and rear to stop the swinging back and forth.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
  4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
  5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    guys i think his problem is no current to hold the boat in line while anchored not that hedoesnt have the proper equipment...

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Safety Alert.If you are anchoring front and rear in heavy current, you better have a knife close to the rear. If the front anchor gives and the boat swings around, you could take on water fast and not have time to pull rear anchor. The quickest thing to do is cut the rope.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    no need to anchor from the rear in heavy current.. a couple drift buckets will keep you dead still......

8. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    yeah i got the drift buckets for heavy current but with none im having trouble do i use 2 anchors and whats the best kind im using 75to 100 ft of rope

9. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Bud thanks for the post and the link.

10. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    thanks i watched the video and im doing most of that might need a longer rope and im useing a fluke style anchor my boat is a 16ft runabout.and i do have about 5 ft of anchor chain atatched. but how do i keep the back stationary during wind and from the waves do i need 2 fluke style anchors but how would you be able to get a long enough line out the back. hope im not a pain in your alls behinds but im a novice at boating and wanting to learn the right way of doing things

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    When I am fishing a lake or where there is no current I use two anchors .

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I drop my rear anchor then idle while letting out rear anchor rope then drop front anchor with extra slack then tighten up the rear anchor. hope this helps. With a small boat you don't anchor to tight or you will take on water with big waves. I know this from experience but with a runabout you shouldn't have to worry about that.

13. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    You need to double anchor, use a trolling motor on you transom, or drift.

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just have problems getting my anchor back ! LOL !