Trouble Ahead.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Jul 12, 2008.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    whats your thought of the take over of AB in St Louis.
    My self I think it is just about gonna bury St Louis.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Even though I'm a Coors man myself,I think its a bad deal,selling out an American Icon to the Gremans.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Cant nobody brew better beer then the Germans.
    Maybe they'll whip the joint into shape and start brewing some real beer.

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the great AMERICAN lager. yep. i live right next to the plant. guess what. its gonna destroy soulard. which happens to be the highest per capita restraunt and bar area in the city. they just got that place lookin like a nice neighborhood in the last ten years and now it looks like its gonna end up a slum. the employees account for most of the business in soulard. if they shut down or outsource that plant, it spells trouble for st louis for sure.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't drink beer. That said, millions of AMERICANS prefer Budweiser over most of the beer that you love Mark. That said, InBev said that they would retain every aspect of the tradition and brewing recipes of Anheuser Bush. Whether that's true or not is yet to be seen.

I think it's a bad, bad thing. It will be bad for St. Louis. Jobs lost, business lost. Tourism lost. Money talks though. No matter what AB wants, if their shareholders dump their stock, the takeover is imminent. Hopefully, shareholders will hold out, and do what's best for the community. They will still make money. I don't see AB going out of business any time soon...if they keep it locally owned.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I hate to think of what it will do to the local economy. More and more of Americas business is going to different countries however. Good or bad, i fear it's going to remain like that for some time.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That young president of ABwants to sell but he wants more then the billions already offered.
    InBev has found a loophole in AB company policy.
    Basicly InBEV could force the old board out and install a new more friendly board in with the kid's uncle who wants to sell at the current offer as the new president.

Where are yall afraid this rice beer company is going to run off to? Germany?
    Germany wouldn't have it! lol.
    What does it really matter who owns it? 99.9% of the people that drink the rice beer didnt know who owned it nor cared who owned it until the news came out that it was going to be sold.
    I drink some AB products. I could care less who owns it. All I care about is that a 12 pack is little over 5 bucks and cases go on sale for 11 bucks.
    Get me by cheap beer.
    Cant hold a candle to the real stuff made with barley and hops or wheat and hops though.
    Thank God for kegs and importers.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    NC residents may not care about what happens to AB, but MO residents sure do.

Like whiskey, as you know, can be brewed/distilled from a variety of grains. It's purely personal preference which is "better". I drink whiskey. I don't like American bourbon. It's too sweet for me. That doesn't mean that Danfield's Private Reserve is any "better" than Gentleman Jack. I drank some $120 18 year old scotch the other day. Might as well been a $6 bottle of McCormick whiskey. I guess I don't have an acquired taste, and just don't appreciate the "finer" things in life. AB is a giant in the beer industry for a reason. They've been making the same beer, some process, same ingredients since the beginning. That's the taste the people who drink it expect. If that changes, AB will be good as dead. Many will abandon it just for selling out. It's American beer.

Not trying to make a huge debate. AB is not inferior just because Mark says so. Other people do not have an unrefined pellet just because they love AB products.

9. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Definition

A takeover which goes against the wishes of the target company's management and board of directors. opposite of friendly takeover.

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The beer that I have in my closet is better then any store bought beer around.I perfer a good stout beer,and they dont make that in the states.Mark you know what Iam talkin about dont you?Are you still brewing your own?
    smokey

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Amen on the stout Smokey, And it's hard waiting on the good stuff in the closet, but well worth it.

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I spent 4 years in Germany, and I will give them one thing, they can make beer. Every little town has its own specialty beer. American beer does not even come close to German beer. Pilsner, Larger, Dark, Wheat, I hope they tinker with the recipe, it needs it! Who knows, maybe we will see some new beer.

As for the industry, they are going to have to have people to make the beer, market it, ect. So I dont think there will be any lay offs. I have been through many company take overs and the only thing they really ever change is the management, and most of them are moved to new positions.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Exactly, AB isn't one of those companies you buy in order to drive it into the ground to A create a massive write off, and B. to kill the competition.
    The company makes great profits.
    Like you, I dont think you will see any change. Maybe a different owner will introduce some new beers. Dark beers.

Smokey, since NC raised its gravity law to 15% the point in making in your own is moot. Now we can buy about any beer in the world and the specialty beer shops are popping up. Buy the time you figure in the hassle and cost, its cheaper to go to the store and buy that German beer but some folks enjoy it.
    If I brewed I would have to brew on a 30-40 gallon scale to justify it and whole grain at that.
    I can drive 30 minutes and get a full keg of Guinness for 140 bucks and keep it as long as I want.
    For 85 bucks I can get a taste of Bavaria with a keg of Shinerbock.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Mark, it has nothing to do with the amount of money offered. It has to do with corporate takeovers, modern day piracy. My father retired from AB (Metal Container Corp.)

Have you ever been to Busch Gardens? Grant Farm? Busch Stadium?

Not only do we as a nation stand to lose an American icon, St Louis stands to lose millions in philanthropic, and "family" things of importance.

I love my town. I do what I can afford to help my town. August Busch III does the same albeit on a much larger scale. That will disappear.

InBev is known for cutting expenses. That means anything that does not turn a profit. Good for the shareholders? Perhaps, perhaps not. Greed and America while hand in hand do not mean the same thing when it is owned by a foreign entity. An American entity may spend only what it wants on what it wants, since the profits belong to them, but the majority will be spent in America on Americans.

As far as the quality of the beer, money talks and BS walks. More people dring Budweiser than any other beer in the world. Inferior or not, it sells and lots of it.

This is another example of the Walmartization of the world.

The almighty dollar will be the downfall of this nation. Just as it built it, greed will tear it down.

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    first of all. inbev is from Belgium. 2nd. they already did the deed. for 55 billion dollars.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree, they didnt buy it to make it go away. they knew they had competition, and a good one at that. they saw the huge profits AB makes & wanted it for themselves. good business decision by INBEV, best for the brand, probably not, but it's done. Now we will see how many ppl wont drink it because it's not american owned anymore, i dont think it will be a significant loss to make much difference. I bet they make changes to make it available to more in Belgium & other places cheaper for even more profits...........