Trottline Tags

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dinkbuster1, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    after thinking about everyones suggestions for trottline name tags i decided to go with the laminate idea. what i done was print out all my info thats required onto a sheet of white paper spaced out every inch, went to kinko's and cut out all the info "squares" on their paper cutter, placed all of them spaced out inside a laminate sheet (what a pain), and carefully laminated the sheet in the heater. after it came out i cut the tags out on the paper cutter into 1 x 2 inch peices leaving lots of laminate on one end. i then went to the craft store and bought a "grommet kit" which included a tool and grommets. drilled a small hole in the end with the excess laminate and hammered the grommets on. total cost for everything.....$2 for laminate sheet, $4 for grommet kit. $6 total for 35 tags (made a bunch of extras). these things turned out better than i thought, i bent and twisted and tried to rip to no avail. also left one submerged in a bucket of water for 3 weeks, still didnt phase it. wish i would have taken my camera to take pics of the whole process. thanx to whoever suggested the laminate idea!:0a31:

Attached Files:

• llt2.jpg
      llt2.jpg
      File size:
      162.9 KB
      Views:
    • llt1.jpg
      llt1.jpg
      File size:
      142.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dink,

I like the end result(s)! I am sure Bryan will copy this to the BOC Library.

Thanks for the detailed picture post.

Paul

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  4. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I like that idea. :) I got a dozen tags a few years back that where made out of orange plastic and has all my info. hollowed out in white. They all have a hole in the corner to run my line through. They where $1/ tag though.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great idea with the grommet kit, also you could use address labels, then just peel and stick to the laminate, keeps em from moving around.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Good idea, but if you're really cheap, like me, you look for something free. I generally cut pieces out of gallon milk jugs and write the info on with a Sharpee laundry marker. Sometimes I'll cut sections from an aluminum soda can and use one of those vibrating inscribers for marking tools & such to put the info into the metal. Both types last a really long time, and cost nothing to replace.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

most of time i just use my copper trap taps

8. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Making a post so I can see the pics at the top

9. jackthomilson

jackthomilson New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was taught to cut up old plastic milk jugs and a magic marker

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great Ideal on tagging

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm pretty cheap. I made all my name tags for years.
    I finally got tired of making them better and bought some copper trap tags from Funke. (google Funke trap tags)
    Cost $11.00 for 50. Since I trap I bought 100 for $16.00.
    I'll never have to screw with making my own and wondering about weather moisture or sun bleach will make them unreadable.

have a good one
    just

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I did, except I used a 3M laminate name tag kit that I found laying around the house. I don't know how much they cost, but they work great, and are indestructible. They have a nylon loop, and that makes it real easy to attach and remove them from the line. Yours look great, and will probably outlive you.

13. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm llike many of you, I look for something cheap. At work we get lots of notebooks sent to us by contractors. Many of them have white or opage thick plastic sheets (or partial sheets or just strips) in the front and back of each notebook (so pages won't stick to the cover). These are thicker than milk jug plastic, but about the same color. I just cut them to size with a paper cutter or sissors, put a hole in one corner with a paper punch and then write on them with a permanent marker.

Ralph