Trottin on Old Hickory

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JBird01, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    I am lookin for any tips on trot lining. Went out last night to check our line and someone had cut it:angry: I have been hearing that the cats are deep in the river channel right now, whats the best way to catch em on trot lines when they are that deep? And any bait suggestions? Have been using cut shad, shad guts, and shrimp.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    All I can say is good luck..The bass fisherman and jetskiers have taken over that lake and you'd be lucky to keep a trotline in there hence yours being cut..The best advice I could give you for trotlining there is to don't do it..I'd try jugging instead that way you can keep an eye out on your gear..Use cutup skip jack as bait or live bream..Welcome to the BOC..

3. FishingMachine

FishingMachine New Member

State:
    Nashville,
    Right now it is kinda hard not to get your line cut on Old Hickory. You might check at the Bait Shop in Hendersonville and see what they say about not getting your lines cut. I know they have a few tricks. You might also want to make a grappling hook to drag the bottom just in case your line gets cut.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    caught a few about 5 feet deep in bluegrass tonight on nightcrawlers

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i don't troline anymore and haven't for a good while, but i would always tie some sort of weight off about 5 or 10 ft from where you line is tied off to and drop it to pull that part of the line well below the water, never had problems and i got plenty of boats and watercrafts on my waters

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I run lines throughout the year on old hick. Depends on where you put them and the time of year. Right now I really don't put in much time on the water. It's too crazy out there with bass fisherman and boaters, I just get pissed everytime I go. As far as finding them right now is going to be a little harder than any other time of the year. I would try shallows and deep ledges. You really have to run your lines at sundown and have them up before sunrise, at least this will increase your chances of getting them back. All I can say man is wait for it to get cold, your time and money will go a lot further and you will have a lot more fun.

7. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Someone mentioned weighting their lines so they are well below the water.
    If you are not weighting your lines to pull them below water I say they should be cut.
    No offense intended, but if I'm floating a river and see a line on top of the water I will cut it each and every time.
    Used to float on tubes down the river and after getting tangled up and coming out bleeding a few times due to floating lines.... well you get the picture.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to sink my lines and ("not tie them to the bank") after having a couple stole myself. You got to make it tougher for others to find your lines and hide them good. Visable only with a small float marker of some kind.:wink:

9. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    Thanks for the tips guys. Going tomorrow eve. to cairo to try and catch some. Havent fished up there much besides for bass, any tips on where to try around there would be appreciated!

10. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    Well, me and my buddy went out last night and had a decent night. He caught a 13 lb channel and we had a 10 lb blue on the trot line along with a little striper. Kinda slow but a fun night.

Attached Files:

11. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    7-25-09

Attached Files:

12. CRCJoJaTek

CRCJoJaTek New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I run lines across the channel and in the flats in Drake's Creek. I haven't had a line cut yet.

I also don't leave my lines out. I put them in, let em work, then take them out with the cats.