Trotlining with out a boat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by countrycat15, Jun 5, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys i was wondering if there was any way i could run a trotline from the bank of a river/lake.i don't have a boat and i relly want to try limblings/trotline/setlines.so how would i run one without a boat and if i were to catch one how would i get him to the bank.any info u guys have will help me out alot. thanks

2. I may be the olny one crazy enough to have run lines on foot. I have run lines in local creek that was wadeable. I would wade up or down the the holes and place my lines across the head or tail of the hole. I also had luck placing lines parallel with the bank along bars above these holes and in bend holes. You could also put limblines in these places as well.
    I would highly recommend that you have a partner when doing this for safety also it would be wise to set your lines before dark and run them the next morning in the daylight.
    I was young and dumb enough to do this solo and in the dark. Let me tell you that bad things can happen in the dark. Just think of taking a spill on a slick bottom in the dark by yourself. Now think of taking that spill holding a line full of hooks in the dark.
    It can be done but safety should come first. Good luck.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive used throw lines and trotlines for years without a boat

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Like James said, use throw lines.

Need about 15 feet of line and a weight. Tie the line to something secure.

Tie the weigh tto the end of the line.

Place the first hook about 5 feet from the weight. The next 2 feet up and the last 2 more feet up.

Lay the line out neatly and bait it. Whirl the weight around a couple of times and sail it out over the water. You be fish'n.

Robert

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    These two are steering you in the right direction. Throw lines are a good way to fish multiple hooks in the creek/river. Just make sure you lines strong enough to handly the weight hitting the end of it when you throw. Hate to see all those hooks sailing out over the water :angry: It takes a little practice, but I always had better luck kind of lobbing it out there so it didn't bounce back when it hit the end.

6. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have trotlined w/o a boat for along time, but my home lake is pretty shallow. like they said, use a partner.

7. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i set ONE out and hated it because it didnt produce much last year. but i set one from the dock i fished to a nearby tree that was in the water. 3 days later i caught a soft shell. no cats though probably because of the shallow water of about 1 1/2 feet!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can generally wade the shore of a lake and put a line out by yourself. Just walk the area first to make sure there is no deep holes or other obstructions which would increase the danger you'd have with a hand full of hooks. I set lines that way for years in my younger days and probably caught more fish that way than I have by stretching a line across a cove by boat. One thing I mentioned in another thread is I only used those bright, silver finished hooks. Something about them bouncing around in shallow water resembling the reflection of light off minnows. You can catch channels without any bait. (Bait catches more, but they will hit an empty hook). I would encourage you to do this with a buddy - increases the enjoyment and the safety.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My throw line rigs I use little dixie cups that i filled up concret and had a wire loop to attach my main line to. My main line would be about 15 feet long about 3 feet from the weight I would have 2 knots about inch apart with a big trotline swivle in between then a couple more feet id have another. I only ever put 2 hooks per rig anymore and it just gets tangled up when you go to throw it out. My leaders i make about foot long and use about a 7/0 hook. now when you throw them out you want them to be tight so your bait is off the bottom. i look for good sturdy limbs that are hanging out over the creek a couple feet. Toss out my rig and then tie it off pulling the line tight. Make sure you are checking your sets couple times a day.

10. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    one time at lake tenkiller was camped out diving , this old guy was setting on the bank , watching a line that was tied to a dog pole . u know the kind about two ft long with a handle thar u screw into the ground to hold a dog chain, he had a little bell on the line. when it would jingle he would grab the line walk up the bank and take the fish off rebait an let the line back out . couldent beleave it . so a ask him what are u doing so he enlighten me he had two lines each one had 25 hooks they were set at 45 degree to his pole they were about 50 yds long . tied to the deep water end was a rubberband about 3/4 inch wide about 1/8 inch thick about 150 ft long .. he would tie to about 30lb rock take it out in a boat streach it and his line then drop the rock. it was awsome he cought all kinds of fish an never left his camp. later he told me they were made in texas arround huston esp. for water he kept them in a qt jar full of water . havent ever seen any sence but i know they make them in texas . just somrthing different that worked very well.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    throw lines would probably work best as long as you have room to lay them out on the bank when you throw them...

My method is to take what ever mainline rope you'd like to use... tie it to a red brick... the ones with 8 or so holes seem to work really well cause they have enough weight to hold it down but are easy enough to cast the distance.... Anyway have maybe 25-50 feet or if you'd like, more of line to throw... then tie your rigs to the trotline clips you can buy off Catfish Connections (trust me, for storage of the lines and when you throw it its alot easier to handle)... anyway, Provided you have enough clear bank to lay the whole length of your line out, do so... have it tied to the tree/post/dock(what ever your throwing from)... attach the trotline clips and rigs on to the line where ever you'd like them and bait the hooks... now go to the end w/ the brick... pick up and toss into the river/lake... CONGRATS you just set your line... now when you pull it in , instead of standing at the spot you tied the line in at and piling all the line at your feet, go along the bank/dock/what ever it is, and pull in your line as you are laying it back down along there to rebait it. This will keep it from tangling and will allow for you to beable to maintain control of the line easier then just piling it at your feet. When you bring it in, in the morning, or when ever... just take the clips off and hang them by the hook in a 5 gal bucket to store them... it'll keep them from getting tangled so easily.

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys thanks for all the help.i am going to try ur ideas out soon.