Trotlining with no bait..this is CRAZY!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BLKCLOUD, Oct 23, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I forgot about this till my daddy reminded me about it yesterday..
    We used to have a tv show that came on PBS channel 8 thrusday night called Tennessee Outdoors..the host were Jimmy Holt and Glen Smith..no matter what was happening when it came on I was going to be glued to the set..one night they opened with a story they said you wouldnt believe.. trotlinning with bare hooks..they went to a big resivour Probably Center Hill, Old Hickory or Percy Priest and went with a man who had trot lines set..they pulled up to the first one and started taking off cats.. you could see 8-10 hooks in front of the guy.When he would take a fish off..nothing but bare hooks..I'm not sure how many they caught but it was several..10-12 per line..he told them..see cats with no bait..after he unhooked them he just dropped the line back in the water..I can see where one could "rig" a story like this but after watching the show for 20 years they never did any "tom foolery" or the such..and they never did tell the secret..do any of you have any idea what was going on?? thanks!!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have heard stories of cats being caught on bare, shiny hooks, but I've never seen it personally. We've got a member (Metalfisher) who uses small pieces of metal on his hooks for bait. I can see this better than just a shiny hook, because the pieces of metal are more the general shape of a minnow. If they do hit a bare shiny hook though, seems to me that it's got to be because they mistake it for a minnow. :0a36:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ah, yeah!
    When I set out my trot lines, I use bait on all the hooks. When I go back later, all the bait is gone, an some hooks have catfish. Isn't that what they had? I think they were joking, myself.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    1 of 3 things

1. Snagline
    2. bait dissolves off the hook
    3. main line was soaked in Asfetida Oil(old timer trick)
    It's possible, knew some guys that never baited their trotlines.

:004:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

I know some people that do it and it is #1 and #3 on coonX's list. Check your regulations to see if snag lines are legal in your state. IMHO they should be illegal in all states.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    an old cajun guy in my home town uses a line in the rivers that hooks the cats in the mouth area. he says that is all in the way that u tie ur hooks on, he showed me and it works by the cats whiskers kinds channel the hook into its mouth where the hook turns and hooks them. Never seen it actually work, but this guy always had a bunch of 2-5lb channels when he came back from runnin the lines.

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know some fellows who use the setup and it does work. It is basically a snagline. The key is in how the hook is put on the main line causing the hook to turn toward the fish when the line is touched. It does work.

The following site gives the particulars for setting up the lines:

http://www.catfishing.tv/trotline/snaglining.htm

8. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Keith, One other thing. When they check the lines one of the fellows runs his hand along the main line and down each drop..... he swears that the catfish smell his scent ...... I can't argue with their success.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Sounds more like a snagline to me also. You can set a trotline to snag more fish than biting a hook by the angle at which you place the trotline in the water. Most states like Oklahoma where I live require the hooks to be a min of 24 inches apart. Now when you set a trotline you might set it across a river or section of lake. You can make it a snagline more by putting the trotline at a extreme angle. Say you have a creek that's only 50 feet across. Run that trotline at a steep angle instead of across and you can have hundreds of feet of trotline and that two foot min is really a lot less because of the angle of the trotline. Fish are much more likely by swimming by to get hook without even biting a hook.

Now there's also another theory that I've experienced before that has some merit also. I set jug lines from time to time and run two or three hooks on each jug. There been many times that I didin't have enough bait for every hook and only baited one hook. I've come back to find I've caught two fish on one one jug when only putting bait one one hook. I believe that the first fish is caught by bait and they second one bites the shiny hook because they believe it's a feeding frenzy. That one fish is caught and struggling to get free twisting and turning for long periods. The second fish swims by and seeing the shiny hook and thinks it's another bait fish since the other fish hooked is going crazy. This happens a lot to me so it makes sense that one fished snagged by a trotline can trigger other fish to notice a shiny hook and bite it.

Asfetida Oil Ive never heard of this before. What exacty is this CoonX

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This definition may differ in other states, but in Arkansas, a snagline is defined as having hooks closer together than 24". They are considered commercial fishing tackle, require a $5.00 permit for every snagline up to 100', and are not allowed for sportfishermen. I've read where the old time snagliners would soak their lines in some kind of attractant, such as anise or used motor oil to cause the cats so swim around the line and increase the chance that they would get snagged. Not allowed for gamefish.
    As to whether a fish has been 'caught' or 'snagged', it seems to me that it's pretty obvious: if the hook is in the mouth, it's been 'caught'; if the hook is somewhere in the body, it's been 'snagged'. I realize that there may be the occasional exception to this, but I think it would be pretty rare.

11. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    these were all caught in the mouth..

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Other folks can believe what they want, but if a number of fish were caught, all in the mouth, I'm convinced that they were biting the hook, rather than getting snagged.

13. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    it's called a snag line.you run the line from the bottom of the river to the top and then back down.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have accidently caught one channel on a shiny new hook, full moon out that night (before I got it baited the next day).

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a story from this summer, and it is true.

A lady who works in the deli of the store that I work in goes trotlining with her husband several times every summer. He has a bad heart, and has had stints put in his heart.

Well, the last trip they went on this summer, her husband started having pains in his chest, so they decided to take him to the Dr. Before leaving, they unbaited all their hooks 'till they knew what was going on, but didn't take the time to pull the lines in.

Turned out it was nothing serious, so they went back the next day to retrieve their lines, and they caught several small channels, and blues on the empty hooks. They also caught a 40# flathead on a bare hook. Strange, and seemingly unlikely, but it did in fact happen.

It's also not uncommon for trotliners to bait every other hook, and catch fish on the bare hooks just the same as the baited ones.

My theory is that they get the scent of the bait, and begin to "investigate" with their whiskers, and mouth. Possibly chewing on the droplines as well. Some folks soak their lines in koolaid, and that will sometimes catch fish on a bare hook.

I know that the biggest B@ss that I've ever caught was caught on a bare hook while catfishing.

16. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have set out lines in a water supply lake before and run them for a week or so.ran line 2 times a day and did not bait but 1 time at night.
    I have had fish a hooks a know did not have bait on them.the water had some current. not a lot but just a little.had SS hooks

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back in the late 80s I put out several lines in the spring, and left them there till fall. Sometimes I'd know that I couldn't run my lines for a day or two, and I'd remove all the bait while checking for fish. I don't recall ever having any cats on my lines after leaving them bare-hooked for a day or two.