Trotlining White River near Augusta, Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by robbie, Jun 16, 2006.

1. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    me and one of my friends put out some lines wednesday evening in the white river.so far the first night we only caught 7.one flathead about 12 pounds and 6 blues and whites about 3 to 5 pounds.last night we got 18. we had 2 blues about 20 pounds,1 about 15,1 about 10 and some more between 3 and 8 pounds. we also had 7 more flatheads about 3to 8 pounds. 6 of them flattys was on the same line. and the rest was channels and 1 white all about the same size. was using slicks and rednecks catfish soap. gotta go bait up and see what will happen tonight. robbie

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    It sounds like ya'll are doing really good Robbie. Keep us informed, I like hearing reports like that.

ST

:0a23:

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Robbie,
    I was with Coach Thursday night when you talked to him. We fished the type of cover where you and Casey are setting lines. Nothing!!!!! As a matter of fact, the lower White is falling out about a foot per day and the fish there have lock jaw. I pulled camp and came home.

Sounds like you and Casey are killing um. Keep hammering them.

4. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    well as our luck would have it we went to bait upthe lines and had enough bait for 1 line. so we went to our bait basket and a turtle had found his way in our basket. all we had left for bait was heads and tails. so we did the best we could and caught 2 more flatheads on the line that had caught the most. we also had some bent hooks,broke hooks and broke leaders. we are thinking hard about trying them with our poles. robbie

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Robbie,

Congrats on the catching!

I went with the guys to Merrishach this weekend and had the opportunity to rod fish in the White River. We found several places that I would dearly love to drop a trotline into. But, How in the world could I run a trotline in a current that sometimes pulls the anchor free?

My thinking is that the only way to fish would to be with limb/drop lines.
    Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Robert

6. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey metalfisher,that white river current can be pretty rough. we hardly ever put more than 15 hooks on our lines so its not real bad.just put 8" concrete block on the end and you'll be alright. fish between bluff banks and sand bars and try to find cuts in the bank. it will be just enough to slow down the current and run the current line. we pole fish first to see whats around the area and some times it's shallow enough to see the fish when you set the hook. hope this helps. any more help feel free to ask. robbie

7. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    HI Robbie. I envy you man. I love it back there. I'm a prune picker (california)
    but have kinfolk living in Judsonia and Steprock. Augusta is real close by. As a matter of fact I remember my uncles and cousins saying how they had to travel to Augusta
    when they wanted to get something to drink besides shine. White counties dryer than a bone. The only place selling alcohol is the V.F.W.. Good luck to ya but it sounds to me like you old boys dont need much luck seeings how you know what the hell you're doing.

8. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey badams,my family on my dads side grew up in kensett just across the river from judsonia. some guys i know went to augusta and floated down the river with some jugs weekend before last and tore them cats up.maybe our luck will keep holding. robbie

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Good report Robbie.

A few years ago I was driving home from Tennessee, before I got to Memphis I got on the phone to call information for Bald Knob, we wanted to see if Who Dat's restaurant was open, got a Tenn operator who thought we were pulling some kind'a joke on her, would not look up Balb Knob, AR, We finally talked her into looking and she just said, damn, there is a Bald Knob. Then we asked her for the number for WHO DAT'S and we started all over again with her, she was getting mad at us until she finally looked it up and then she said ,something a little stronger than damn, there's not only a Bald Knob, but there's a Who Dat's in Bald Knob.

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Yo Sam, did you guys ever get a chance to get a bite there? It has some of the best food i've eatin in this state. There is a place now right at the base of the hill called Bayou Market. Pretty much anything you can get at who dats you can pick up there too. Meats, crawdads by the pound........ We stop in every weekend after work and pick up a plate.

11. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey samh,that happens all the time! lmao!!!!!!!!! robbie

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Who Dats is an awesome place to eat. My wife and I drove down there one night just to eat. I think it was New Years Eve and when we got there (hour and a half drive) they were closed. We almost cried. We had our hearts set on a sampler platter.

Robbie,
    You fishing this weekend? I'm planning on fishing Saturday for sure. My oldest son is coming down from Mo and he's ready to fish. I hope to put him on a real good one. Keep me/us posted on the bite on the White. I really want to fish the section you and Casey fish. Sounds great.

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Yeah i've got to eat there a few times, its not really in my neck of the woods, but everytime I get close I try and stop.

Arkie55, that's why I was calling that one night, you never go to Who Dat's without calling to make sure its open, don't seem like there's a ryme nor reason to when its open or closed. Still a heck of a place to eat.

three_rivers I'll have to try Bayou Market some time, thanks.

14. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Its been quite a few years back but my Grandmother (Erie Myers ) used to own a cafe( Kings Cafe ) in Judsonia there on what at the time was the highway . She cooked up hush puppies and catfish like I aint ever seen. Thats common table fare back there but it was uncommonly good. Makes me start slobbering and my guts to growling just thinking about it. Them bony little perch she cooked were mighty good as well. We pretty much just ate them bones and will with a mouth full of cornbread to keep em from poking your go getter on the way down. I believe I'm gonna have to take me a little trip back there this summer. Do any of you gents ever fish the Little Red River?
    I heard that it stays pretty cold but dont know first hand