Trotlining VS Handlining

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by T Man, Jul 20, 2009.

Which is harder Trot Lining or Hand Lining?

1. Hand lining

2. Trot lining

3. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    It is much more work to trotlining setting out taking up and baiting. Here in the south you run your lines at daylight and bait them right at dark and catch bait & dress fish in between. It gets old quick Im glad I gave it up:big_smile:

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    This is easy Earl. Most people know that trotlining is more work. :wink:Thanks for the post.

3. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Ya lol. All them all night trips has got em brainwarshed. They can barely think straight. Last time I seen scotty his head was still bobbin to the motion of the ocean. I dont do any linin myself ( only cause i dont have the boat for it) but i sure enjoyed helpin gpa run em. I agree 110% properly runned lines are a TON of work. Thats why alot of people dont do it. Too much work to enjoy themselves.

4. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    i can only handle about 3 days of running and baiting trotlines, but it sure is fun not knowing what is on the end of the line when you start pulling it up to check it!

5. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nuthen like reaching in the water in the dark and pulling up a 30lb SNAPPER:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You didn't give me this option, but if I do anything other than R&R I set bank poles and run them AM and PM. Sometimes just remembering where I set them is the hardest part:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and good luck whichever way you go!!!

7. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Earl are you sure that was fishassasin, Friday night ?:wink:
    or was that Saturday night.
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:
    I am lucky I can remember who I'm posting to
    talk to ya later Larry:eek:oooh:

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :wink: right on earl i agree

and rod and reel fishin if ya wake up and dont feel like going ya dont !!!

if ya have a line in ya must every 24 hrs ITS THE LAW :smile2::wink:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You can pretty much put as much or as little effort as you want into whichever method you choose. That's one of the great things about fishing.

10. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I never really have understood that the law is not what it should be, that we'd be required to run the lines twice a day.

Maybe if it was there wouldn't be so many abandoned lines.

Have you all ever been checked for labels on your lines? I've been doing the limbline thing for years and always got my name and address attached to all of em but not once ever have I been checked.

Hell the only time I ever had to show anyone my fishing license was at Bennett Spgs and Roaring River and I expected that!

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I'm invisible when I'm out there. That woulda made me a hell of a bowhunter so that can't be it -- unless only wildlife can see me and not wildlife code enforcers!

Would it piss off a lot of people if the code changed and required set lines to be tended twice a day?

Would it be enforceable?

Ya'll can answer how ever ya want -- But I think it would inconvenience the people that maybe shouldn't be (littering) oops I mean setting lines anyway, and hell no it wouldn't be enforceable enough.

I wish everyone fishin policed themselves as good as it appears all the folks around the BOC do.

11. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    if ya think about it, most liners do check their lines twice a day. when they set em, either in the morning or afternoon , and (at least I do this) check them right after dusk, just to rebait if anything.and then again as soon as I can in the morning after baiting them. so in essesents they are checked twice a day. the law being the way it should be? I don't understand that statment, according to who.:embarassed:

Perhaps your limb line thing, because your name and address lable was on them might have been checked without you knowing,:wink:

As far a being asked for my fishing permit, I've been asked maybe twice and I think that call is up to the conservation officer, by that I mean if you look like you know what your doing, the cop is going to say to himself, this guy is most likley leget. I won't mess with him but that guy over there with the case of beer, the Wal-mart bag of bait and the brand new tackle box, now maybe I'll check him just to be sure. it's his call to make.

As far as the littering (ooops):eek:oooh: check the banks where people have been fishing and see if you won't find (gee I donno) empty worm containers, pop cans, bundels of old fishing lines, maybe a pocket knife or a pole laying around.
    I don't think that littering would be left by someone running a trotline do you?
    Your right people would get pissed off if the Law was changed, but by the same means if you were in a tree stand with your bow watching a 10 point buck 50 yards away walking towards you. and a DNR officer walked up behind you and asked you what time you started hunting that morning wouldn't it just get your "panties in a wad":angry:
    Enforcement of wildlife laws are nowhere where they sould be, I agree, but this doesn't only apply to fishing. The state is strapped for money and is cutting back on alot of conservation programs and manpower.

I don't know for sure but I trotline and rod&real fish a small hard to get to lake not to far from Bennet Springs and I see a lot of limb lines in the water that have been there for quite a while. Would you think somebody else might think this is littering:wink: I know there not yours because they don't have the owners "tag" on them (at least not that I can see without touching them).
    They aren't mine so I don't mess with them and like you said you've been limblining for years and your lines are always tagged.

These are just my opinons on your post, and I'm sure other have their opinons also, just like you have expressed yours.

Have a good day
    and keep lineing, be it limbing, troting, or jugging:big_smile:

12. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    amen brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more and more regs ????? this train just keep a rollin :angry::angry:

when i was just youngin my momma told me son allways be a good boy !!
    dont run other peoples trot lines !!!!:angry:

for if ya do ya wont be FREE !!!!!

I ran trotlines as a boy just to watch them catfish DIE :wink:

I HEAR THAT REGULATION TRAIN A COMMIN ,, WHEN I HEAR THAT WHISTLE BLOWIN I HANG MY HEAD AND CRY !!!!!!!!!:sad2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6f2GuUKXnM

13. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

ill wear black for my trotline brothers and all my country good ole boys
    and yes us hillbillys !!!

theres things that will never be right I know and things allways changing everywhere we go ,,,, but ya never see me wear a suit of white .
    ill keep wearing black because thats my right :wink:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfI9B8e9tW4

14. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scotty
    Your avatar looks like your sporting "black & blue":wink:
    is it true,
    you won't wear white cause it's your right?:cool2:

15. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now I can answer them PM's!

Hey ya'll got some good discussion on the two times a day thing and it was precisely my point bet most of us do check our lines AT LEAST twice a day!

and exactly we don't need no more rules there are enough already, and they are plenty liberal enough that I can go have my fun without breaking any of em.

And hey Earl I get it, I don't feel picked on. I've been using several of these type of online forum thingies for a long time and I don't take a whole lott of 'bad vibe' from anyone cause it's easy to understand that 'tone of voice' absence in written comments can make interpretation of exactly what is being said be quite variable.

Lots of times I write something sarcastic that is taken literally, and it was just me trying to be funny!

And it brings back lots of memories seeing someone say 'whack em and stack em' reminds me of my Grand dad

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    underwear bro underwear,, trust me ya dont want to see my underwear white :eek:oooh: !!!!!!!!!!

17. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Billy Mojo ifn ya do feel like ur gettn picked on just try this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8y1A3nkSvA it'll make ya feel a whole lots better:wink:

keep lineing

18. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scotty
    TMI (to much info) or is that input:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    TILL THE RIVERS ALL RUN DRY ,, TILL THE SUN FALLS FROM THE SKY ,, TILL LIFE ON EARTH IS THREW

CATFISH I WILL BE NEEDING YOU :wink:

EVEN THO SOMETIMES I RUN A LINE TO CATCH YOU ,,,

I STILL LOVE YOU :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdZuodp3ZZM

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

yep me 2 and im gonna stick to what works :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEmbG5G-jgE