Trotlining Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by vetrock, Jul 24, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    There has got to be some monster cats in Lake Monticello. I know of a few people that fish for them off the pier and near the spillway. Has anyone ever tried trotlining there? Any tips?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Only been on that lake once and that was for bass years ago.

Sorry I can't be of better help to ya.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never fished that lake.But you can't go wrong with trotlines.I have set trotlines in the lakes where I live and always have done great.Some time it is hard to set a trotline in the lake though.With not much to tie it on too some times.You can also set throw line where you just tie one end up add som hooks and a wieght in at the end.Let me know if you do any good.I hope you catch a bunch of whoppers.

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have heard there are some big catfish in that lake.I've never wet a hook there but do plan on it eventually.A friend of mine has pictures of the lake when it was about half full.There is a lot of underwater structure that most people don't know about.I have been told to go back by the spillway and fish from the bank.They say the water is about 50 ft. deep there.Trotlinning would probably be a tricky deal but well worth it.

5. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    I have fished the lake for Bream, Bass, and Crappie, and 1 time for cats with yo yo's, I could not keep the bull heads off the hook in shallow water.
    I have seen some 20 to 30 pounders cruising the shallows, they would not bite my cricket. I have gotten reports of some good blue catfish caught on trotlines using soft dog food. This lake is clear you can see 4ft deep, I am making plans to try some jugs in the near future, You will see water as deep as 70 ft in this lake just north of the spillway. I have seen remnants of trotlines in the main creek channel, They had been cut. I will keep everyone posted.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Try catching some of those bullheads, cut off the fins, and use them for bait. You don't have to cut off the fins, but it makes them easier to handle, and I think that it produces extra scent plus a distress signal.

7. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    I am in the process of building a trap for them, the square one from the tip section, looks like it will work real good for them.