Trotlining in the heat of summer

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by kyredneck, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I posted this ‘method’ for making boilie dumplings on this forum because this is a slow release bait suitable for trotlining in the dead of summer, they will last for days on the hook.

Pic 1: Whatever the odious scents you prefer to put in your flour based dough, roll it out flat about ¼” thick and slice them into ½” - 5/8” squares/rectangles; poke holes (indentations actually) to accommodate the hookup in the dumplings with a small nail or something.

Pic 2: Separate the dumplings and drop them into boiling water; about 30 seconds after they float they’re done cooking; remove from the boiling water and chill immediately in ice water (I learned this step from ShilohRed), the chilling process makes them tougher; drain them in a colander; spread them out in trays to sun dry until they have a leathery feel to them (watch carefully and don‘t over dry them, it doesn‘t take long in the hot sun).

Pic 3: The finished product; I usually make large batches of these and vacuum package in quantities of 50-100 and freeze.

IME, channels will go for just about any flour based boilie no matter how it‘s scented, but the ‘sucker family’ does also. Boilies scented with corn tend to catch carp; boilies scented with cottonseed and or spinach tend to catch buffalo and red horse suckers. It’s a lot of fun to catch these big suckers, even if you don’t intend to eat them you can CPR (but fresh buffalo sucker is some fine tasting fish, they’re just boney). Kids will have a blast catching them; buffalos especially will explode when brought to the surface and they will get you wet. The dead of summer is prime time to catch them, and they bite day and night. The kids have fun making the boilies too, some of it can be tedious work.

AND, use small hooks, #1 or 1/0. These hooks have caught 20 lbers for me, and you’ll catch plenty of eating size channels to boot.

Attached Files:

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thanks Larry, I'm gonna try this one.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Nice nails, Larry.:wink:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    BwaaHaaHaa! I never noticed that! :smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry thanks for sharing. Appreciated.

6. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Great post and info, Larry. BTW, I came real close to commenting about the hand in that photo, too. I restrained myself in case that really is your hand, LOL. :smile2:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

...those are Tina's nails, I don't like red polish myself and never wear it.

(there's always gonna be one you in the crowd, lol)

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know, I like the red polish pretty well. I used to use it quite a bit when I tied a lot of bucktail jigs. Some red fingernail polish over the threads kept everything in place, and also provided some nice red color as a visual attractant.

9. CntryCrazy

CntryCrazy New Member

State:
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Thanks Larry, will try this. Thanks for the info

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good post larry. nice nails. lol. points for that one.

11. chrisb

chrisb New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    thats definantly something ill have to try

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Larry what part of KY you from ? Thought I seen a post of yours that said you fish the KY river or was I wrong . ?

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish the pool between Locks 10 and 11.

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Dont know the pool numbers I live in Richmond is that Irvine?

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lance, 10 is at Boonesborough, 11 is at Fox.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Maybe we can fish sometime I live at Richmond and have fished below Boonesboro dam and up past where otter creek dumps in at the old rr trustle .

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to fish that area you just mentioned alot when I lived in town about 25-30 years ago (man, time flies). There's a wet weather spring that dumps into the river accross from the campgrounds on the Clark County side at Boonesborough . I fished that spot with trotline for years and caught tons of fish of ALL kinds.

Also fished the lower part of the pool above lock 10 around the power plant and trestle you speak of back then too.

Yea Lance, who knows, we may get together and fish some next year, but, don't take this wrong, my wife is my consistent fishing partner, and I wouldn't have it any other way (hehe, she wouldn't either).

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Dont switch partners !:smile2: Maybe we will cross paths on the river . I don't get out much . Do got my own little boat and run jugs now and again . I have a trotline just havent set it . Good fishing ! I know where that spring is you mentioned . thx. There is alot of pleasure boat traffic @ Boonesboro might concentrate more above dam next year to get away from traffic .

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lance, don't be fooled about that 'pleasure boat traffic. The spot I'm talking about accross from the campgrounds is hot during the early spring before the pleasure boaters (or many campers for that matter) come out. I've even been tempted to return to that spot and fish it early in the year, but, I just simply have no need to. The biggest problem you would have putting a trotline out there at that time of year is the swift current due to it's proximity to the dam.

Advice: if you should choose to trotline that spot go ahead and run the line from bank to bank (you may need to add more to it), you're only talking about a hundred yards or so, and checking the line from the DOWNSTREAM side gives you something to hang on to and pull the boat along in the current. Just take pains to HIDE the line on both banks and make sure that you're LEGAL in all respects, i.e. tag it and no more than 50 hooks, because the Boogy Man is down there alot. It's really a good spot and you catch lot's of flathead there.

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thx for the info ! I mark all my jugs and would do the same if running a trotline . Haven't fished early in the year and there is practically no current all this summer .