Trotlining - How to keep from getting finned

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ra8643, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was wondering what the general technique was the everyone uses when getting fish off the trotline leader. I usually pull the line over close to me and just grab the catfish under the fins and remove the hook. Over the weekend I got finned very bad because just as I went to grab it, it started spinning and going crazy and got me.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. big bolt

big bolt New Member

State:
    camden point misssouri
    the best way to control your fish is stick your hand in his mouth. I do this no matter what the size of the fish. The biggest i have mouthed was a 44 pound flathead. when they are this big i mouth them and bring them in the boat and cut the leader. When they are smaller 20# or less i just hold them up by the main line and take the hook out with the other hand while holding the main line too. hope this helps

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is simple. Just don't catch any fish. You can still have the enjoyment nature and the outdoors.

4. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    If you are running it from a boat you should be using a dipnet. You can get the fish into the boat easier and let them calm down a bit before removing the hook. I have lost numerous fish when I forgot my net, they like to flop around right when you pull the line out of the water and get off the hook.

5. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    You can't go after honey without gettin a few bee stings.:wink:

6. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the replies. I will start using a net. That is a great idea and will probably save my hands.....

7. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    All, thanks for the replies. A dip net is a great idea. I bet that will help quite a bit. Thanks!

8. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Dip net is a big asset for running lines. Once the fish is in the boat, if not hooked deep, I pick up with the line and if they don't come off, grab the hook with my pliers and lift/twist. You often want have to grab the fish.

One thing I have found handy in my boat is using the cleat up front to hold the line over in the boat for me. I get the line behind the cleat then I don't have to keep up with it and it frees both hands for dealing with the fish.

9. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    I couldn't agree more about using a landing net. Fish in the net, unclip or cut the drop, into the boat with the fish (dump it out of the net, behind the seat I'm on), put net back in it's holder, clip on a new baited drop, and go on to the next. Works for me. :big_smile: I don't touch the catfish until I unhook it - AFTER running the whole line. Then I'm wearing a leather glove on the left hand that holds the cat. Big or small, all the same treatment. I HATE getting finned. :sad2:

Curt

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always used a net with the exception of flatheads. Most cases he'll just float up and you can grab him by his lower lip. Them twistin, floppin fiddlers will horn ya and you'll loose alot too. I never try to swing a fish over in the boat, had way to many flop off when ya pick it up out of the water.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I never have to touch the fish while removing the hook...

most of the time I will use a dip net to get him in the boat but then I'll use a pair of needle nose pliers. I take the needle nose and run them down the hook as far as I can and turn the hook upside down. Then I pick up the fish with the pliers and hook and then give it a quick snap. The hook pops right out and the fish lands in the bottom of the boat.

By doing this I can run my trotlines faster and not have to handle the fish until I am done with the line. After I finish running my line I pick the fish up off the bottom of the boat and put in ice chest.

13. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i pull them in the boat and then grab them around the fins thats pretty easy for me and i've been doing that for years.

14. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use a dip net, but I have a gaff hook ready for the the really big one that has not come along yet. I use it to land Musky. You can't hand land a Musky, and most wont hold still for a dip net.

A gaff hook can be a great tool to have in the boat for any number of other reasons.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You got it.

It's those channels you really got to watch out for; them suckers will go crazy on you spinning and thrashin and floppin and carrying on. The less you handle them the better.

And I DON'T put an ungloved hand in their mouths, I will a flathead, but not a channel, they'll rip the hide right off you.

I consider a landing net essential; i carry a big one in my boat.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009