Trotlining flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Stevej, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    First off let me say I don't trotline for them anymore, got too old and lazy for that, about all I fish for now is crappie. However I would like to tell you about a gut that fishes Okatibbee Lake MS for flatheads with trotlines. And he catches them too. I have seen him as I use his jugs for a quick referance to some of the creek. Wife and I were getting our daily walk in and were at the launch when he pulled out, he knows me, and he called us over to look in his boat and he had 3 flats, guessing here, 40, 30, and 15 lbers. All he uses for bait is a big shiny hook, I've watched him pull in his lines and polish the hooks with a rag. He told me today that he use to put goldfish on his lines but they got too expensive so he started to only put them on every other hook and noticed that the empty hooks were catching as many as the goldfish so he stopped baiting his lines and still catches plenty. Anyone else do that?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I dont trotline myself, but I have heard about things like that happening, especially with blue cats. Some of the theories that have gotten to my ears are that the shiny hook sparkles like a shad if the light can get to it, and then the fish will go for it (since I hear they also dont have great eyesight). If the hooks are silver, that might be what it is. I have also heard about putting pop can tabs on them to achieve the same effect.

:0a26:

3. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Last year i prolly caught 2 or 3 flatheads on plain hooks, but these werent shinny they were just those eagle claw trotline hooks; really wierd.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmmm, gonna have to try that one!

5. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    It works, I haven't caught any that way, but I know some that have. The biggest one I've seen was about 60 pounds, if it had been anyone else, I'd say no way but this guy don't lie about fish.

6. Creek_Chub

Creek_Chub New Member

State:
    Loveland, Ohio
    That will sure save alot of time catching bait!!! Think that will work on a Jug Line? Better keep that on file for this summer.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You can also put a big willow leaf blade on the hook and catch them also.
    But the best is bait for smaller fish and the Flatheads will eat the small fish and you catch both sizes that way.
    Pete

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Some of the folks down here was telling me they were using the silver wrapper off of cigerette packs to catch them...who would have thunk it!:confused:

9. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have seen flatheads caught on bare hooks. That is one of the reasons a trotline needs to be run every day whether baited or not or it needs to be pulled. But, if I was expecting to catch a big flathead, I would catch me a bucket of 3" bluegills and bait my trotline with them.

10. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Is MetalMan still around? He baits with tin foil and catches plenty of fish.

11. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fella oughta feed th gar ta get'em outa th way!

12. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    I know it happens. You can knock a burgler over the head with an empty gun, but I'd rather have mine loaded.....with bluegill in this case.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This does sound like a fishy story. This year on jugs I will try this. Maybe a piece of tin foil. Folded to the shape of a skinny minnow. LOL LOL LOL

:big_smile::smile2::smile2::tounge_out::smile2:

14. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Even though this may work not real sure I could do it as I would just not feel right about checking an empty hook and in my own mind keeping positive that I had a chance to catch one...Just me

I could possibly do the every other hook thing but just don't think I could put out an empty trout line and justify in my mind it had a chance...

:eek:oooh::confused2::eek:oooh:

15. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I don't think I could either.
    I set trot lines sometimes and I use bream on mine or crawfish.

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I quit buying bait too...the day I got a castnet.:big_smile: No way would I drop a line without bait on it.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of our brothers, Metalfisher, uses only strips of heavy foil on his hooks. He told me that he uses something like an old turkey roasting foil pan, cuts it into strips about 1/4" wide and 2 1/2"-3" long. About 1/2" from one end he makes a fold so that the metal strip is in the shape of the number 7, then puts the hook through the fold. Disclaimer: This is from memory, and my rememberer is getting old, so please forgive any minor errors in measurements.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  19. OldSalt

OldSalt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm new to fresh water fishing......sorta. I recently moved inland from the coast. Back when it was legal, we would cut small strips from the bottom of a pie tin and hang on our hooks for trout and reds.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Ricky!