Trotlining 42" bottom Jon Boat Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catfishrob, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Is a 1442 or 1542 stable enough for two 215# guys to Trotline from without taking a occasional dip. I fish a river with a lot of stumps and big gators.

Rather not fall in. Always used a 1448 adn woner if the 42 will work ok.

Anyone own one?? Can they give me thier experience. I have a chance to
    buy 1 1542 Alumacraft with a nice 15HP motor very reasonable... and just fits my cash budgeted.

Thanks in advance. Smells like my soured grain is ready got to go....

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Two guys that size, both leaning over the same side at the same time, is like asking for a gator riding contest. LOL In my trotling experience, it only takes one person to lean over the side to run and re-bait the line. Two is asking for trouble. but, with reasonable care, you should be able to do it.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If there's gators in the waters that your going to be fishing,I know I would want something a little more stable under me than a boat like you're describing. That's just my personal opinion,but I really have no desire to be alligator bait.LOL I suppose as long as each one of you are hanging out of opposite sides of the boat all would be well.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think a 1448 is better myself thats what we use and a vbottom 14ft.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if I was in water where there are gators i would want a PT BOAT LOL :smile2:

6. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I think you will be just fine, as I have used a similar boat for a few years (w/ no gators to worry about though!). Depending on the current and how you rig your lines, it should not be a problem.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know if it's possible, but why not put the boat in the water for a test run, then you and your buddy try hanging off the same side to see just how well the boat handles it?

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I trotline out of a lightweight 14 foot jon. I do fine with it no problem if your careful. With me and my fishin buddy in the boat it's pretty heavy. I'm 6'4 and weigh in at 300 and he's kinda short but weighs about 230 - 240 but, we don't fish in a river so we are not fighting current.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Did it for years.
    But it depends on how the side of the boats are . The more flair they have the better it will handle what your looking for.
    Say its 42" in the bottom but 65" across the top or better, It will work. We even pulled nets over the side of a 1642 for years. But it was 70" across the top. But would lean and not take on water.
    Also no gators here, but did fish every day flood or not on the Tn river.
    Pete

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't see it as much of a problem, BUT I don't run lines from the side anyways. I get up front, and pull the boat up the line. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for both of you to be hanging over the same side of the boat at the same time, but ya don't need to do that anyways imo.

11. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thta size boat would scare me a little, I run lines a lot, but of course I am out on the Mississippi and need a large boat that will hold a few guys, i guess if you take your time and dont get into a big hurry you should be fine as long as you aren't out on a big river, like everyone else has said, 1 person leaning at a time.

12. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    catfishrob, 1542 is what I have been using for 8 years now. I also fish a lot with throw lines and trots and it has never been a problem for 2 or 3 people most of the time 2 people but when we fish trot tourneys we go with 3 , one driving one working the bait tank and gear box and one running the line. Since you mention Aligators I am assuming that you are in the eastern part of Texas so mthe biggest river around will be the Sabine or the Neches I run both with that size boat with no problems.

13. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Got the message. Picked up a used nice 1648 Alumacraft with a 25 Johnson.

Tried it on Calavaras Lake worked ok. Now to try it down in Hog Bayou at the coast with them big underwater tree stumps and pesky hongry gators. Lots of cats though.....:smile2:

14. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    how wilde is there river your fishing

15. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I mean how wide

16. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    what size weights do you use on your lines

17. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    how long are your lines i just started and i bought a premade troltline at walmart just to get started it 25 yards with 25 hooks

18. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What would be good bait to use in feb. Im fishing a small river 10f deep at its deepest with crystal clear water.

19. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    should I use the hook that come with the trotline or should i buy some circle hooks

20. Treypd99

Treypd99 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have had success on circle hook on my limb lines