Trotlines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by cdalford, May 10, 2008.

1. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was wondering what syle/size hooks work best on trotlines. haven't ever put too many out but figured I would try a couple this year with the kids.

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Usually a good sharp stainless hook is best ...size really depends on what kind and size fish you usually get on. The thinner hook penetrates easier and if you have a budget ...can usually be bought in quantity. I've seen standard shape hooks straighted or broke though so if you want the strongest shape available ........the circle hook with an offset point would be my choice. Try and use a bait that turtles dont like .

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've bout always used stainless 6#. They'll hold a good fish but if it gets in a tree top, you can usually straighten the hook out.

4. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Turtles don't like soap.

That's one reason I use Zote soap on my Trotlines. Only thing is you normally only catch eater size fish on soap. Around 1.5 lb to 8lb. Soap is a cheap and clean bait and turtles and gar don't like it. Only catfish. Mainly Channels, although I have caught several Blues on soap.

I don't think your gonna catch any Flatheads on soap though as they like live, or cut bait.

5. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I ordered some #6 and #8 circle hooks today might give those a try when they get in

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Chris, a friendly word of caution. I don't know how big your boys are, but if they're youngins, keep em back away from the side of the boat the lines on. Also if ya get a big one, remove the drops or hooks between you and it. Ya can't turn it loose fast enuff it if dives and you can't hold it. i use to love trotlinin, but it can be dangerous, things happen fast.

7. cdalford

cdalford New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yea they are there to look only from back of boat. I appreciate the advice.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 5/0 and 6/0 stainless Eagle Claw trotline hooks. Yeah, they can be straightened out, but they can also hold a 50# flathead if you don't try lifting it out of the water. I never lift the drops up out of the water when running lines because you will lose alot of fish that way.

Also, I have a question for those that use circle hooks on a trotline. I haven't searched exhausively, but what type and size of circle hook have an eye big enough for trotline string? I use 350# braided nylon twine for the drops, and 650# (I think) twisted and tarred line for the main line.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sea circles have some large eyes. might look into them.