Trotlines

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rockyr, Mar 24, 2008.

1. rockyr

rockyr New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Just wondering if anyone has been setting any trotlines yet or is it too early? I'm mainly concerned with fishing at Jordan Lake. I usually set some lines there but it's always in warmer weather.Any help would be appreciated.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well Rocky not sure where your at or where your fishin but here in Arkansas I have already started. The weather has been less than cooperative tho. I put one line out this past wkend and only caught one channel that weighed in at about 2 lbs. Two years ago about this time I had several lines out already and caught several fish including some over ten lbs. I don't think it is too soon to put lines out but it does depend on the weather and how it is affecting barametric presure, water temp, and wind direction, and how all this is affecting the baitfish or common bait of your area. I like my water temp to be at or close to 65 degrees and I like my pressure to be falling and be below 30 and I don't like to have much wind at all, and especially no wind out of the east.

Good Luck

3. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    What is a trotline? How do you use it

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I pulled in 7 Channel cats and a Bullhead on 25 hooks Saturday after about a 4 hour soak, and nada on another 25 hook line. About 3 weeks ago we pulled 8 on 25 hooks that soaked for about the same amount of time. Where abouts on Jordan are you fishing?

Right now my success (limited as it may be) has come from setting them in deep water. Find a channel or submerged pond that runs through or is in the middle of a flat and set your line(s) right through the middle of it.

Good luck

Jon

5. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    It's a line with several hooks attached to it at intervals (mine are every 6'). At each end there is a wieght (I use brick) and another line attached to a bouy (NC regs require it to be marked as such at each end, along with having your name and address attached to your trotline).

To use it, you simply get enough bait for all of your hooks (NC regs forbid the use of live bait on a trot line), drop one of your wieghts, with bouy and trot line attached. Then bait each hook and drop it over the side of the boat. When you come to the end of the trot line, attach your other weight and bouy. NC regs also require a trotline to be set parallel to the nearset shore, and for them to be fished daily.

To retreive your line, find a bouy and pull the weight up (hopefully the trot line is still attached) and pull in your catch. Or, at least get your trot line back.

Good Luck

Jon

6. rockyr

rockyr New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it may still be a little early. I like to fish the submerged trees at the upper end of the lake. It's pretty tricky setting out a line and also gets pretty hard to look at night but sometimes the rewards are worth it. Jordan is a lake that you definately need to be careful on especially at night.
    Good luck to you. Maybe I'll see you on the water sometime.

7. rockyr

rockyr New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Thanks for the answer. I live in Hickory NC and like to catfish in the central part of the state. In the Raleigh area. I usually do pretty well a little later but you know how it is, I've got the itch to fish!
    Good luck to ya.