Trotlines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by mavmannate, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I'm lookin to setup a trotline in clinton lake kansas this saturday night. Low budget.

What materials should I use? Any good tips?

This is what I have: follgers coffee cans with cement for anchor, 1 gallon jug for a float, treble hooks, hooks.

Would raw shrimp be good bait for this? Worms?

I have slugs all over my house. Good bait?

Thanks for any help!

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The shrimp would be good.. try to catch some gills to.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use 550 cord for my main line. And put the line through the barrel swivel and spread them out 24 or more inches and them make a loop knot to secure them from sliding. Then i use some smaller line to tie to the hooks. Good luck and catch some fish and post them caught on trotline:big_smile:

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    these two fellaz got you goin in the right direction

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can buy a pre-made trotline cheaper than you can make one, but the quality will be much lower. Still, if you only plan to use it a few times a year, that might be your best bet. Personally, I prefer to make my own. I use 300#-350# twisted nylon for the mainline; tarred line is good, but I've never bothered with it. For droplines, I use 100# test braided nylon 24" long with the ends tied together to make a loop. I put swivels on the mainline between knots that are about an inch apart; the size of the swivels are such that they just barely slide onto the mainline freely.
    I've always had best results using cut shad for bait.

6. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Thanks for the info guys.

Anchor wise. A folgers coffee can with cement with a i-loop on the end? Heavy enuff? Otherwise I can use a 35 lbs weight frm my bench press. (Give my guns a rest) lol

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    thanks for movin my post. didnt even realize we had that catagory.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jerry's got a good point about buying a pre-made one if you don't already have the materials; you'll just be constrained to their standard issue 4/0 J hooks, unless you already have other sizes.

It's a lake and probably has stratified by this time of year and there is a thermocline and you'll need to try your best to get your hooks up into the thermocline unless you plan on checking the line every 1-2 hrs because the fish that get hooked will die from lack of O2 at the bottom if left there too long.

Try a variety of baits. The slugs sound like they'd be worth a try, that's half the fun, tryin new things. Fish for gills during the day and use as many of them as possible for flatheads; but again there's the stratification issue, the gills won't stay alive if there's not enough O2. You'll just be murdering bluegills for nothing.

It wouldn't be too difficult to get a line set up into the thermocline if you had a long enough main line to stretch from bank to bank accross the mouth of a cove or feeder branch/creek. It would be pretty simple to do. Might not be the all around best location but the bait and fish would stay alive on the line,,,,,,,,and that's important.

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'd bait it with lots of small bluegills and shad if you can get them.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Mainline and swivel sizes to match so the swivel moves freely but will
    not go over the knot. I use Rosco swivels #3 for #30 line and a #5
    for # 24 line.