Trotlines: Which color do you like?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KYTRAPPER, Jun 7, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Do you like black,white,green or red? Ive been using black with good results. Has one color gotten more action than another for you? I have a friend who commercial fishes western Ky. During the summer months when the water is super clear he uses 40lb test big game doubled for nib lines. He says that he gets more bites in the clear water with mono droppers than with twine. hes been doing it fo a living for 25 years. Must be ssomething to it I guess:roll_eyes: Ive heard of some guys who dye their white lines red, hows this work for you?

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've only ever used black and white, but i've had better results with the black twine. Don't know if there's anything to it or not.

3. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    ok.....red hooks trigger the natural feeding response right? then how is it that "cajun line" which is red disappears in 3 feet of water ........this has been bugging me all day.......can anyone help

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    You know thats funny. I watched a bass'n show the other day and they advocated the "bleeding bait" presentation with red headed spinnerbait with red trailer hook and all that. Which is it, bleeding hooks or invisible line?????:roll_eyes:

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use white and green and thinck bort work ok.

6. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    Ive heard red is the first color to disapear under water. ???

7. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    then what about using the red hook?

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The Cajun Red 'disappearing trick' is mainly advertisement hype. Red is indeed the first color to disappear under water........at about 25'-30'. So, if you're fishing below that depth, red line will disappear; above that, it shows as red. If you want to check it out for yourself, look under the physical aspects of scuba diving.

9. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I've used white and black. I haven't noticed any real difference in numbers caught, but I like black the best.

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I usually use black,but I have used green and also white.I like the black best.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My main lines are 350# black twisted nylon. The drops are 150# green nylon braid. The drops are green because that's what color that the size and type of string I wanted was available in. I like dark colors for 2 reasons. For one, dark colors are more difficult to spot from a distance, so it's harder for theives to find. And second is probably superstition, but I think white can be seen underwater by fish. Saw a guy get skunked 2 days in a row using white lines, while me and his son caught tons of fish on our black lines. Maybe he just picked a bad location, but I will never use white string on a trotline.

12. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have used green and white and they both are pretty promising during the fall and winter months but i get a lot of big cats with black in the spring and summer times:roll_eyes:

13. ahoki

ahoki New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    In my opinion the black is best, simply because it has tar in it and lasts longer....the green also may be a treated line. But as for the fish....they dont care what color it is. If ya have ever scuba dove in lakes you will find that the fish are pretty curious.... now cats may run away from ya where a 8lb largemouth bass will come up to you and try to see if ya have something to feed him, but the cats dont care about color of the lines....If they are hungry and pass your bait they will eat!

14. I make oil

I make oil New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm with Kat in the Hat for the same reasons. Keep those theives away. And the black lines last longer.