Trotlines ? - What fish should I use as bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by tony, Mar 2, 2006.

1. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i've been wanting to run some trotlines? in this great state of South Carolina, you can't use gamefish for bait! bream,perch, crappies,etc. what should i use for bait? thanks!!!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sorry but I'm not a fan of Trotline. The rule book list the few things you can use.

3. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    tell ya the truth i didnt know you couldnt use game fish as bait , i always thought you could as long as you didnt have over the limit in the type of bait you were using, anyway shad and herring are great baits to use

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You can use game fish live or cut on tackle, but not on trotlines, with a few exceptions. They are (somewhat) clearly listed in the nongame species regulations. The trotlines baited with live game fish attract bass, stripers, and other predator fish in addition to catfish, which is the reason those baits are not allowed, except in those aforementioned exceptions, where the rules were eased to allow for increased harvest of flatheads.
    Don't knock South Carolina too bad, the regs here are actually pretty lenient overall when compared to some other states. Trotlining is legal, I've enjoyed doing it myself in years past, before I took up serious catfishing, but it wouldn't bother me at all to see it banned, especially in the larger lakes. I get darn tired of finding abandoned trotlines, often with dead fish on them, or illegal lines, and when I do I call in a report to DNR as soon as I can, giving them the gps coordinates.

5. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    the reason why i want to run some trotlines is mainly to not waste time fishing in the big creeks if there not there? A guide here on Murray told me years ago to run trotlines at the mouth of creeks i fish! he said if your catchin catfish on your trotlines, then you know they are in there! Murray is a big resevoir! so i'm only going to run them to eliminate dead water! not be greedy, and fill freezers! i don't do that! there legal in this state for a reason! and nobody fishes hard for cats on Murray like i do! Catfish is not the fish of choice on Murray! go to a local bait shop here and ask about the catfishin? they'll look at ya like theres something wrong with ya!!! i'll let ya'll know how it goes!! good cattin to all!!!!

6. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    According to the regs, you could use bream but you cant have more than the limit.I think it is 30 bream in a day but if you caught 30 bream but had 4 poles with bream on it you are fishing illegal.You just cant have more than the limit. Thats how I interpet the rule, if I am wrong please tell me.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    From a boat fishing with bream on rod&reel is unlimited but its illegal to use them on trotlines, set poles and etc.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The following is straight from the rule book.

Bait
    No game fish, live bait or any bait other than
    bait listed below shall be used with trotlines, set
    hooks and jugs: soap, doughballs, cut fish (nongame
    fish cut into at least three equal parts),
    shrimp, grapes or meat scraps (shall not include
    insects, worms and other invertebrates).
    On the Edisto, Black, Sampit, Big Pee Dee,
    Little Pee Dee, Lumber and Waccamaw rivers,
    live nongame fish and bream may be used with
    single-barbed set hooks and trotlines that have a
    shank-to-point gap of one and three-sixteenths
    inches or greater.
    On the Black, Big Pee Dee, Little Pee Dee,
    Lumber and Waccamaw rivers, live nongame fish
    and bream may be used on trotlines having not
    more than 20 hooks with a shank-to-point gap
    of one and three-sixteenths inches.
    Game fish used as bait must be included in
    daily creel limit, 30 bream per day (see pg. 18).
    There are no restrictions on the type of bait
    permissible in traps or eel pots except that no
    game fish or parts thereof shall be used as bait.

9. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I dont have a problem with trotlines i principle, its just that most people harvest way to many fish including very large fish from trotlines. Like tommy ive come across quite a number of abandoned trotlines and probably half the lines i see are not marked properly. Then again south carolina legislatures dont give a darn about catfish. I dont understand it as many many people come to our lakes to fish for them.

That being said, my uncle used to alternate soap, shrimp, and doughballs. Worked well for him.

They need to put a limit on size of fish you can keep including trotlines, and raise the price/ limit quantity of commercial licenses. Any idiot can get this license and put out ungodly amounts of hooks keeping any and every fish they keep.

10. bobcat2000

bobcat2000 New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    use cut bait like shad or herring--i use bream heads too or the body of the bream cut up as long as u catch the beram by hook

11. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Trot lines should remain legal...the DNR should just ban idiots from fishing alltogether. If people are stupid enough to leave trot lines in the water, then I promise you they couldnt care less about creel limits or the law... period.

That being said I love to use trot lines. Dont use any game fish. Herring or Shad work great. Put out and pick up your lines when you are supposed to. And dont let anyone make you feel bad about running a trot line! I know how hard catfishing Murray can be!

12. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Hi Tony, I know you and that you are an ethical fisherman. Small trotlines can be a great tool and help find cats while you look else where. Stick to cut Blue backs, gizzard shad and large threadfins. For those that don't know Tony, he is a anchor and drift fisherman. And he is pretty good at it.

13. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Tony - from what PopPop said, you're a sports fisherman. Using trot lines, you don't get to fight any big fish. (They're wore out by the time you pull them up, most of the time.) And if you're a sports fisherman, then you probably practice catch and release on the big ones.

With that said, a trot line would only be good to you for catching eaters. And if you want to use it for that purpose, bream and other such baits wouldn't do you much good, anyhow - too many big fish taking up your hooks. Shad's plentiful, and easy to catch, and a good bait. Also, for small, eater size fish, you can get a can of whole kernel corn, one kernel per hook. Or get a bar of Ivory soap, soak it in a wet rag just long enough to get it soft, then cut it into small cubes, about the size of a kernel of corn. Take your time, work the hook through it with out busting it. Believe it or not, it works great. (Again, these are for eaters.)

This time of year, if you float your trot line about four feet off of the bottom, that's where you'll do your best.

I can understand wanting fish for the freezer, and not wanting to use your fishing time to target little fish. A trot line would work great for that.

But since I was a commercial fisherman, I associate a trot line with work. So you won't see me setting one, but it does work.

Just use your head - check it regularly to keep from having dead fish. Dead fish won't do you or anyone else any good. And good luck.

14. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    OHHHHHH!!!!! my god!!! this post is 3 years old!!!!!! i don't do trot lines....stay out of the archives,,,,go fishing!!!!!!!!!!

15. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have run them and still do sometimes, it is a great way to scout new water, kinda like fishing sev. areas at the same time. it helps for future reference.

16. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Wow. Didn't notice the date on that one. Interesting.

Maybe it'd help someone else?