Trotlines now a waste of time?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by skipjackking, Mar 12, 2007.

1. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    New member here by the way im glad i found this site it is very usefull. So much great info from very wise fisherman. Any who im new at this winter weather catfishing. Im going to a lake in Missouri called Mark Twain Lake, sure some of u have heard of it. Great fishing spring, summer an fall, but im wondering if i have any chance to catch a few good fish on trotlines? Im going this Friday an the water temp will like be in the 40-45 degree range lake is up bout 14 feet an chance of rain Wensday. Is there a certain depth i should be fishing? An what fish would i be more likley to catch, blues, cats, or flats? Any help would be very usefull thanks.

2. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My experiance is that it is a little too early for a trotline. Next month you should start doing ok. May and June much better. I have caught a few in March, but have also set one out this time of year and have come up empty.
    Hal...

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    if you do put put a line try to find some shallows next to deep water with shad.

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i have not fished twain i years but in the winter if i set a line i look for the deepest holes i can find and use live bait with some glo in the dark stuff my bassfisherman friend gave me i dont know if the stuff really works but yesterday doing some rod and reel fishing on the mississippi river the pole i used it on was the pole i caught fish on (small channels nothing to brag about)

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you do, just don't do as this fine outstanding limbliner did:

Attached Files:

6. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info, cant hurt to try a line in the water. Is there a few blues with any size at Mark Twain?

7. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info, cant hurt to try a line in the water. Is there a few blues with any size at Mark Twain?

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    If you do, just don't do as this fine outstanding limbliner did:

What is the story behind that picture? It looks like someone hung a fresh catfish in a tree. Was it a limbliner, or unknown? I can't see a fish being that fresh, if the water had gone down that much. Just wondering.

Jim

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You might try the R'n'R thing for a while. I don't know this, but have been thinking the fish might be biting near the dam right now. Yes, there are good size blues in Mark Twain. I caught 2 35-40 lb. blues there last summer. Some may not consider these big blues, but to me they are huge. I don't know what the biggest ones in there are, but I assume there are some bigguns. Iif I can catch a 40 pounder, I would assume there are some 80+ in there somewhere.

10. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So u think the dam would be the best place to catch some blues? Bout what depth? Sorry for all the questions i just dont rod an real much, ur a great help.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not real sure. I just think they would be either there, or near some deep drop offs in the main channel. I caught a bunch of blues on trotines at north fork last summer in fairly shallow water. I doubt if they are in the tributaries right now, but I could easily be wrong as I have no experience fishing for cats this time of year. I just think it would be hard to get lines to where they are right now. If you have any luck, please keep us posted. Today would be an awesome day for fishing. A nice warm front pushing through. Tonight, and tomorrow morning should be good. Then a nice warm rain Wed. should wake em up.

12. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Will do maybe ill get lucky.:wink: find out sunday.

13. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well it didnt turn out to good got there friday morn. and everything seemed to be good but chilly got on the water for bout five min. wind gusts bout thirty miles an hour freezing cold white caps dangerous really we had no trouble catching shad. Figured we would do some rod reel for we set out the lines. Five hours not even a bite. So we figured we would wait till saturday to set out the lines woke up and there was 4 inches of snow on the ground it was jsut not meant to be. Oh well, if it wasnt for bad luck we wouldnt have any at all:confused2:

14. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Don't give up Craig. It's only going to start getting better.

15. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    yea i know i just couldnt belive 80 degree weather all week an then snow o well MO weather but im gonna go again when water temp gets warmer.

16. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Better luck next time Craig.I fish mark twain my self,its about a hr drive.ive seen alot of big flat heads caught out of there.good luck and keep safe on the water.

17. skipjackking

skipjackking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea there is a lot of big flatties in there goin again soon hopefully do better.

18. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Craig you look like one of the guys on cannondam website that is always catching monster flathead on trotline with a couple friends,is that you?
    If so imma be picking your brain about that lake

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you notice, I believe I see an autofisher (yo-yo) next to the fish's head, and that's the main criticism folks have of the yo-yos. Some people will set them too far above waterline and the autofishers will pull the smaller fish completely out of the water.