Trotlines, Jugs, or Rod & Reel?

• Trotlines

• Jugs

• Docklines/Banklines

• Rod & Reel

Trotlines, Jugs, or Rod & Reel?

13K views 61 replies 52 participants last post by  mcseal2 
#1 ·
What do you guys prefer for MONSTER Flatties? Rod and Reel or trotlines/jugs?

Plus: How do you set up a bankline/dockline for big flats?:Happy:

Reactions: lance
#3 ·
i use rod an reel ,limb line an jugs some but i enjoy catching fish the most on rod an reel .But i mostly use the alternative methods in the winter time to get a few to eat ,but i still let most of the ones we catch go .Just because we caught then don,t mean they coming home with me .

#5 ·
I love catching flatheads on rod & reel, but I voted trotline. To me there's just something extra about the rush of grabbing the end of the mainline and lifting on it just to have it about yank you off the boat pulling back. Tension just keeps building as you check the droppers one at a time until you get to the one that has the biggun on it. Easing it up slow until you see the outline of a huge gaping mouth start to materialize in the muddy water gets my heart pumping. I don't use nets, gaffs, or gloves so the grab just adds to the excitement. Being able to lift the fish into the boat, get the picture, then turn around and let it slide back into the water where that tail normaly sweeps and makes the water explode as it jets back down tops it all off. Love it.

#8 ·
I Have Been A Hardcore Flathead Guy For Over 20 Years Now. When I'm On The River At Night And The Clicker Starts Screaming, I'm Thinking Is It 2lbs. Or 40lbs. I Set The Hook And The Hidden Giant Starts Taking Line. I Can't Imagine It Gets Better Than That.
That,s what makes it so good,never knowing how big the next one,s gonna be!

#17 ·
I voted R&R. Haven't fished for food for a long time though. I still have some bank poles, acouple trot lines, and three hoop nets. I may never use that stuff again but I just can't get rid of it. Who knows, my family may be hungry in the future.

#19 ·
When I read this thread I thought uh-oh ! But am impressed with how posts where 2 the point but not coming down on others Peace ! I voted rod and reel cause I target eaters and I don't catch but a few incidental flatties each year and they go back from where they came !

#22 ·
I prefer to not leave my junk in the water for others to fish around when I leave.....................It's all rod and reel for me.

I'm against all other methods but that doesnt mean I don't like the people who do..each to his own IMO.
Yeah I gotta pick (or just do pick up ) others messes not just jugs/trots/limblines/ but also line balls cans bait containers etc .. I find all kinds of terminal gear that way too ! Some useable some not .

#23 ·
I think most of us here will pick up trash regardless. I use to bank fish and clean it up 3 times a week....talked about it a lot on here.

My point was about legal lines and jugs in the water, that's what I'm calling "junk". I think it's BS that folks have to fish around unattended fishing methods ( some take up a lot of space ) , therefore I will call their equipment "junk".

Like I said, I hate the methods but not the people that do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.