trotlines in winter

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 27, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    im going to try and head out and set some trotlines, i wanted to know if in the winter i should set them shallower? or deeper? i have a niuce little spot that i want to use thats in a ton of timber, and is on 2 creek channels meeting, i probably going to use bluegill, unless i can find anything that says thats illegal here in texas, but does this sound good?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I think that it would depend on the water temperature there where you are wanting to fish. The cooler it is the deeper I would fish, and that would also depend on where the thermocline is. But your location sounds good if its not too shallow for the fish to be there because of temps and the thermocline.

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Kevin I was borned and raised in southeast texas and when i lived there you could use bream as bait course that was over 20 years ago too. I know here in arkansas bream " blue gill" if thay are over 4 inches long there is a limit on them. And there isn't no limit under 4 inches and use them as bait. Sounds like a good spot. I would see if there was a deep hole in there and put a trot line just on the up stream side of it and put your hooks about 6 or 8 inches off of bottom if you can.Thay will come out of the deep hole at night to feed going up stream.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've watched some trotline fishermen recently and they were taking off quite a few blues and channels. They seemed to be running their lines in the same ol spots they always do. They might have been a little deeper though.