Trotlines - how many fishing hooks do you use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ole whiskers, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

How many hooks do you use on your trotline?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I usually have between 30 and 50 on mine. But, we don't have a regulation on how many hooks you can have on a trotline. We have a few lakes that are so overstocked with cats that there is no limit to how many you can catch and keep on those lakes.

3. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    We have a 50 hook limit. I use 25-50 depends on where im fishing.

4. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I usually cut the line in half so I can have two 25 hook sections and I lose 2 hook sections due to anchoring the line.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't typically use trot lines, I prefer limb lines if I am fishing this way. But when I do set them, it is typically 10-15 hooks. This is a very manageable size line

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use 25 hooks and that is all i am allowed

7. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    25 to 35 much more in the current usely puts to much of a bow in them. For a swing line I do 8 to 15.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico,25 hooks is the max. allowed. With only one line per person.

9. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I usually will set 30 hooks. About every 6 hooks I will put a weight. And anchor with a old wheel. I fish in a river with moderate current. We will have at least 3 trotlines out at one time. The amount of lines out depends on how easy it is to get bait. Around May we can go to the swampy area of the woods at get crawfish. Now with crawfish and spring time there is a cat on every hook.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use 20- 25,depends on where I'm settin my lines at. Have use only 10.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We can have a total of 33 hooks, so I use 2 trots with 15 hooks each, and 3 fishin' poles.

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    33 hooks? dang man! here we can have 100 hooks per person, as it reads "it is unlawful to have more than 100 hooks out per person at one time"

we have up to 4 trotlines, most with 15-20 hooks, but we run our trotlines from the bank, and check them from the bank, and we also have a couple poles out and running, along with a couple limb lines, but let everything 20lbs and over go, (never really caught anything over 20lbs) and let every flat under 18" and every channel under 12" go, unless we only catch one or 2 fish then well let them go. Every fish kept is eatin by us or friends.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Eh, it's enough for me. Considering the restrictions in other states, I feel fortunate. I think Mo. has a pretty good set of regulations.

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    3 to 15 hooks on op lines running off the banks. In early spring during high water, I'll fish from 30 to 75 hooks per line for blues. We have no restrictions on the number of hooks allowed.

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    25 hooks per line and useally will have two or three lines out

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I put 24 hoops per line. AS were allowed 100 hooks. And I fish 4 jumper lines. And by having 24 that gives me 4 extra hooks. And I can fish with a rod and reel at the same time.
    Pete

17. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I make my trotlines,so it depends on where I'm setting them.I've had as few as 10 and as many as 75. On average I have 20 to 30.

18. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Sorry, its been a while since I was on here. I have two different setups. One of my setups I make the lines 10 hooks, spaced about 6 feet apart, the other I make 20 hooks at 6 feet apart. I fish on the mississppi and target flatheads, so I find that when I have had the hookd closer that most of the time we woulsnt catch fish on back to back hooks.

Hope that helps.

Chad

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    50 hook limit here, but that doesn't mean I'll have them all baited; depends on the bait situation and what I'm targeting; If I'm using live gills for cats anymore I'll just bait every other hook (about 8' apart) works good. Might use doughbaits, worms, cicadas (last year did GOOD, it was locust year here), or whatever to fill in between IF available, if not won't bait them.