Trotlines - A topic I don't hear alot about.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TNcat, Mar 25, 2006.

1. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    A topic I don't hear alot about on here is trotlining. Are there many of you that are still doing it??????? And if so do you have any luck doing so? Please share your favorite way of rigging them. Thanks

2. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    You may want to look in the library, i say a couple of posts on setting them. I used to set some a long time ago, but luck was so-so with them, but that was before finding this site.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I feel a good debate coming on, LOL!!!

4. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now why would ya say that , J W? Just another sport! Goodnite folks.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Naw, I fish for fun. Trotlines are too much like work.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I haven't ran trotlines in years but always enjoyed camping and running lines while we bankfished.
    I always sank my trotline to the bottom. I tied to something on the shore and weighted the other end with a cinder block.
    I put 2 dropper lines with a 2 litter drink bottle tied to each.
    Occasionally I would hit the bottles with a flashlight to see if anything was on it.
    Love it when the bottles are dancing.

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Jess,

Wow you just made a very informative post on Trot lining. Great job my friend.

I felt as if I was right there with ya looking for the Biggun as you ran the lines.

As you mentioned, Trot linning is just as much sport as rod & reel fishing.
    I do both myself when my wife and I go camping out.

There's nothing like pulling up your lines and feeling something pulling back at you. Never know what is hooked till you get close to it.. What a feeling...

8. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Jess,that was a great post. Thank you for being so detailed, Iam looking to try it more this year than in the past, and I was very curious how some of you guys rig your sets up. Thanks again.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dang Jess, you took all the room for argueing out. You know that just ain't right.............somebody better start a catch and release thread:)

10. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I set a 50 hook trotline in a little spot on the Red River that is on a drop-off going from 2' down to 35'. I run the line so that the middle has a little sag to it. I like to use the line to put fish in the freezer and use my rod and reel to try and catch the bigguns.

11. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    Here is a tip, dont set a line by yourself, at night, in a canoe, on a river, in the winter. its just a bad idea;)

12. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Jess.......you are on a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post, couldn't agree with you more.

13. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    when I was younger, catfishing was a neccesity, therefore we ran bush hooks and trotlines, still do.
    I know very little about rod and reeling catfish......even though I live on "the banks of GA's Paradise" for flatheading.

I am looking forward to learning the tricks of the trade for catching big cats on a rod and reel.
    hhh

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I couldn't agree more Jess. Two good posts in a row.

I have no problem with someone doing what they do as long as it's within the legal limitations.

I see many people that want to bitch and moan about other people catching fish and keeping them....as if ALL fish belong to THEM.

I feel that as long as nothing is wasted and it was done legal...where's the foul??

This whole thing reminds me of the way trappers are sometimes looked down upon by some hunters...we need to support ALL aspects of outdoor sports that are legal and/or ethical.

The day will come when it becomes absolutely neccessary that we pull together to preserve the very existence of our outdoor sports.

We have been under attack from various sides for a long while...these threats should be taken more seriously by us...because they are very serious about seperating us from our heritage.

15. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Cherokee....welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I grew up trotlining and am now teaching my son the art of trotlining. It is more than throwing out a bunch of hooks. We spend as much time patterning fish and trying new methods trotlining as we do tightlining. It is as much way to spend time on the river with family and friends as it is to catch fish. One more tradition to pass to my son.

17. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I agree with you Ersel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I like trotlining too. Usually set up late afternoon in the flats, and run lines at night. It's a lot of fun in the summer. It's a very good way to put fish in the freezer. We don't ever keep more than we'll eat though.

19. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't add much to 'methods' after what Jess laid down. Only real difference I can think of is I use shorter drops, and I've never used kahles. I sure ain't knocking them tho, cause I've never tried them. I have used 4 or 5 weights to try to conform to the bottom when that was where I wanted to fish. I also seldom use live bait except near the banks.
    I never use jugs to mark my lines. I'd just as well not set a line out as to let a few of the people who 'share' the river know where the lines are.
    I want to commend Jess for having the guts to suggest we all hang together, cause he's right; if we don't watch out we won't have a sport to argue about! His is certainly not the only example of wisdom, but it sure is a good one!

20. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Jess,

What a fine job writing that post my friend. I'm telling ya I was right there with ya in your boat. That's what trot lining is all about.

Trot lining is a very rewarding experience. Five stars my friend...