Trotliners Safety!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by confederate, May 8, 2006.

1. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Folks,
    As most of y'all know trotlining is a fun and exciting way of fishing, but, it is also hard work and dangerous! You should trotline with another person if at all possible but if you gotta go it alone here's a couple of safety tips:

(1) When you are checking (running) your lines keep a knife on you and one within reach AT ALL TIMES!!!

(2) Running my lines by myself and sometimes at night heres another tip:
    Get a snap "D" ring (like is used for repeling) and tie on 15ft of 3/8" rope, hook the rope to the cleat of your boat or the seat post etc. and clip the "D" ring to your belt loop that way you are never seperated from your boat in the event you loose your balance and fall in the water.

(3) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you have a cell phone or if not make sure you let someone know where you are gonna be fishing and when you expect to return.....VERY IMPORTANT!!

Have a GREAT year all and be safe, you can't fish srom the hospital and it's no fun being worm dirt!

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just wanta add, be sure ya keep that knife ya carry sharp; if ya should happen to fall on the other side of your line you're gonna have to cut that rope or youre line. either of which can be tough; especially with a dull knife. I know a d-ring is good but it can turn or a belt loop can break and then its behind ya. A rope can tangle, even half-hitch itself around a leg, and a drifting boat doesn't take a lot of current to haul ya down. It ain't no time to be saying to yourself,"That can't happen to me"!!!

3. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Amen and ALWAYS wear your life jacket or lanyard it to you where you can get it in an emergency......This is the greatest group of people anywhere on the web,Y'all be safe.....

4. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When running jugs or trots by myself I always wear a inflatable vest.

I about fell in one time while picking up a jug while idling. My hand slipped off the side of the boat when I leaned over. Scared me to death. I was in the middle of the main channel about a mile from any shore. I would have drowned for sure.

I also reworked a gaff pole to pick up jugs with.

5. I always try my best to emphasize safety to any would be trotliner. Having had a scare or two myself I fully understand just how quickly things can go south while on the water. Here's a couple more.
    Plan your moves carefully, do not rush or get in to much of a hurry. This can mean working your lines from the downstream side to keep current from pushing you into the line. One of the most important is to stay in the boat. Do not get off balance or overextended. Drop the dang line rather than let it pull you off balance. I prefer to work my lines kneeling on the floor of the boat, this puts me down in the boat with the gunnel between me and the line. It saved my bacon once when the line slipped from my grip and a hook snagged my shirt sleeve (fortunately it did not grab meat). The line went to the bottom and my chest hit the gunnel (hard). If I hadn't grabbed hold I'd been in the drink and in deep kimchi. If your working with a partner (recommended) make sure they know and understand this as well and that they work with you not against you.
    Second be careful in your placement of the lines. We all know that bends are the place to be but if it is a blind bend then you could be in danger from the skiboat that comes flying upriver as you are holding the line out of the water. Take into consideration the other idiots we have to share the water with. On my river I have to watch out for tow boats catching me unawares while I got a hand full of line.

6. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the very good reply's to my post, I wrote the post to see what interest there would be and to see what feed back that I would get and once again the Brotherhood at the BOC have stepped up to the plate to make sure that one knows all the aspects good and bad of anything they want to persue. Thank you ALL for allowing me to be a small part of this ELITE group of people, I am in Awe of all of you.....