Trotline

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by parchy, Sep 1, 2009.

1. parchy

parchy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone run any trotlines on small rivers? I just started this year and had some success. Wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks.

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    About the only thing you have to worry about is tags and not running them all the way across a stream or body of water. You must check it at least every 24 hours.
    New law --you cannot leave it there if you are not activly fishing it.
    Best to check up on the regulations before you fish.
    Oh yeah. It says here that untagged or unlawful lines can be confiscated by any conservation officer.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the mighty BOC Josh. Hope you find everything you need and enjoy the home away from home!

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. :big_smile: Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  5. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a couple of tips for you

Use live bait, I prefer sunfish because they are available and free. Don't worry about any sunfish being too big, you'd be amazed what even a 3 pound channel will suck down .... I've also had good luck with chubs, bullheads, crawdads and small frogs (Meaning whatever was plentiful and I could catch)

Look for snags close to a hole both just before and just after a hole

Generally as a rule of thumb when I'm targeting channel cats I have the bait close to the surface, If I'm targeting flathead I run about a foot off the bottom (Or foot off any snags on bottom) Sometimes the snag 'decides' for you as to what and how you'll fish it. I use an 8 foot round pole and for deeper holes a line with an 8 oz pyramid sinker tied to the end to check to see what's below me

Observe what's active and plentiful for bait and remember what worked in May might not work in July or September and vice versa ...

If a spot doesn't produce after 2-3 tries forget it, especially if your other lines are doing good although sometimes trying a different depth can produce

On a tree trunk or large limb that doesn't have much give, nailing in a 1 ft bungee cord and tying to that can help you with hookups especially when running deep

Run your lines every 2-3 hours if you can, I've caught 3 fish on one line many a night and if something strips your bait there's a good chance he'll be back seconds but not if you don't rebait it

Fresh blowdowns aren't usually worth messing with, maybe next year though but generally the older the better

Use braided not twisted line

An 8-10 foot piece of 1" pvc pipe makes a nice lightweight and cheap ditty pole but if you drill a hole for the line make sure it's at least 1" back from the end

You can make a lot of tags real fast with a computer and printer, just print a page full, cut them out and wrap them in clear packing tape ... stick on labels for your computer printer work even better, again packing tape damp proofs them (But doesn't waterproof them) .... I made 25 tags this year, I still have 18 left plus the 5 already on a line so they are usable several times ... I also have tags on my bungle cords and pvc ditty poles from last year, just stick them on and cover with clear tape

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Now let's try this again the right way.

Welcome to the BOC Parchy, lot's of great people here with tons of good advice for you. I don't run trotlines personally, but see nothing wrong with it if it's legal in your area. Just check the regs and follow along with what the guys that do it regularly in your area tell you. Good luck!

7. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Welcome to the BOC, There are a lot of good fishermen on this site with a lot of good ideas to share.
    I generally trot line a small river about half the time. I like it because I can tie off to limbs easy. I like to look for good spots in river bends or right after one, that might have a nice deep hole. I look for good springy limbs that will hold my lines and after I tie off each line, I clip on a ribbon to show me where my lines are. I like to run them every 4 hours and as close to daylight as I can. Something else I am very careful about this, I never run someone's lines. I don't like it when I find mine have been run. It has happened a few times.

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Welcome!

Make sure u have a good maint line and good knots. Search the forum for saftey tips. They are very important! Keep a knife handy. And use circle hooks.

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thank you whistler
    Just

10. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Parchy.

Most of my experience has been on big water. The Mississippi. With big lines 4 - 50 hook lines. Special license.
    I've also run lines on the Skunk and Iowa.
    Here in Iowa a trot line (legally) is the same as a throw line, bank line, bank pole, ditty pole.
    I personally think of a trot line as a 15 hook line though.
    I generally just use a piece ,about 1/4, of night crawler as bait. Just give them a taste.
    Big hooks aren't necessary. As a guide just check out the trot lines sold at Wal Mart. That hook will hold a pretty good sized fish.
    Good luck
    just

11. RIVERMAN

RIVERMAN Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    bought a bunch of metal(stainless)dog tags with my info on them,just hook em on the bank end of the line and am legal.Got em off the internet and they were pretty cheap and will last forever.Steve

12. Bumpkin68

Bumpkin68 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I run them on a small river when it's high and running fast. I tie one end to a draw bridge piling about 20' from the bank and angle it to a stump on the bank. I have done really well at times. I use filleted "hardtails", a saltwater "trash fish" for bait because they're really bloody. I weight the trotline in the middle.