Trotline. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by mavmannate, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I have put loops in my main line and will most likely be running it this weekend.

What tips do yall have for me? Saftey and making things easier!?!?

Thanks for any help!

Also... I will be using 30lbs line as leaders that will be on a swivel connected to the main line... Is this ok? Also using circle hooks.

2. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

do i need to use ROPE as a leader, or just heavier line? the only problem im having, is finding hooks with big enough eye holes or rope small enough to fit in the holes, but still be worth using rope, strength wise. :confused2:

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I'd use some kind of nylon line for your leaders, and use a variety of baits on your first run, then re bait with what they like.

4. longliner

longliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's a couple of tips that may help... Nothing is cast in stone. What may work for one person may not work for another. Same with different bodies of water. Are you fishing a lake or a river? Are you going after blues and channels or flatheads? In my neck of the woods the blues and channels are biting closer to the surface. I'm fishing in about 15 ft. of water, my deepest hook is probably 5 ft. deep. I'm fishing basic " V " shaped trotlines, tied between two snags, with one sinker about midways. If you're fishing a lake,it's a good idea to pull your motor up and latch it while setting and running trotlines. It's a pain getting your line hung in your prop. I usually paddle from snag to snag when setting one out. Dont be afraid to experiment ( legally, of course! ) Give 'em a variety of baits. Sometime they like thier perch swimming, sometime they like 'em threaded on like a big fat minnow. Last weekend Me & Little Mama worked 'em over on Zote soap... this weekend they may turn their noses up to it. Get on out there and lay to it. It's a blast. Let us know how you did. Good luck and good fishing........Dewayne

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Ok cool. I'll have to look around my garage and see what I have thats laying around in my camping stuff that will work that isnt rotten or anything:tounge_out:

6. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

My state in kansas doesnt say anything about gaps between hooks. So i have my main line which is 30 foot rope, with 12 hooks, spaced about 12 inches apart. Good or bad? or ok....:big_smile:

7. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    I would'nt put them that close, I never go any closer than two feet . But that's me ,

8. longliner

longliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    I generally space mine @ 4 ft. That way if you get two or three in a row (it does happen ) you can get one in the boat while keeping the next one in the water. It's a lot safer, too....... I like #60 for my main line and#36 or#40 for my drops.......Google "Memphis Net and Twine" they have got what you need for trotlines. Reasonable, too. My flathead (we call 'em "ops" ) lines I like #72 or #96 for my main line. Talk about a rope!! A small line and a big fish fighting with everything its got is rough on waterlogged hands. Hope this helped........Dewayne

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Nate 1 thing i have not seen mentioned yet for your safety have a good sharp knife where u can get to it in case u would need to cut your line ,such as you getting hooked ,or hungup in the line

10. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Good point! I'll take my buck knife on my belt.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    HAVE THE KNIFE WHERE YOU CAN REACH IT WITH EITHER HAND AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

As already stated, nothing about trotlining (except the above) is written in stone. You don't need a rope for a mainline, but you do need something at least 300# or so; I like 350#. Not only is lighter line more likely to break if the trotline hangs up and you have to pull it loose, but the smaller diameter line is harder on your wet hands.

I use 100# braided nylon line for the droppers. Catfish spin a lot, and using twisted line here will result in your dropper lines getting untwisted, making them more likely to tangle, and weaker.

If you absolutely don't have any idea what the cats will like, go ahead and try 5 or 6 baits, alternating them on the line; using one bait on one line and another bait on a second line won't tell you much, because you won't know if any difference in bite is due to the bait, or due to the location or setup of the line. If possible, use whatever bait is most productive for rod & reel fishing as your control bait; bait 2-4 hooks with your control bait, than bait a hook with your test bait.

12. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Wear a live jacket while setting and checking the line.

Keep a knife where you can get it with either hand. I keep two on me, one on the left side in my belt and the other in my right pocket. Also, I have a cleaver next to me in the boat.

Row to check, keep the motor up. My boat is just a 12 ft jon boat.

I use a twisted nylon line, with swivels. It is 100 ft long, with 20 leaders and hooks.

13. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Good advice about the knives and lifejacket. I will always have one on. Knife in pocket and belt.

As I bring the line up out of the water, I will take the leaders off. Will only drop line once per trip probably to start with. Once leader off throw in bucket with water if a fish is on it.